Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Stitch Up - mixed by Everbeatz
I've mixed this song pretty recently, I really like the song hence it's always fun to mix that kind of material.Big Grin Band played it really tight, recording in general is excellent and guitars were the most of the job.

Let me know how it works!

.mp3    Bobby Nobody Stitch Up final.mp3 --  (Download: 8.23 MB)

Love the growl you've got the bass and guitars in this version! However, I think you might make more of it if you let the kick drum contrast a little more -- I'd round off a little of that click and allow it to have more real sub-100Hz welly. Overall, though, I do like the punchiness of your kit sound. Is there perhaps a touch too much 12kHz in the hat? Feels a touch too 'tizzy' for my taste.

Do the vocals really need that much reverb, or indeed much in the way of reverb at all? It rather recesses them in the balance against the dry drums and guitars, for instance. I seem to remember from when I mixed this a few years back that I only used a couple of ambience patches to get things to blend, not any longer reverb at all -- just a few delays. If it sounds alright to you without reverb, there's no need to put it in there as a reflex. And if you do want the reverb for the 'sound', then I'd go for something less natural-sounding and heavily EQ'd so that it doesn't pull the vocals back as far in the balance.

This mix translates extremely well on the Avantone -- great work there! And it should therefore be little surprise that the balance as a whole is very dependable. Love the way the bass translates, for instance. Love the long-terms dynamics too. Very convincing and professional. You're really thinking about how to present the arrangement in the best light, which shows you've got the ears for this pastime! Thanks for letting us hear that.