Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amphibian Mix: Secretariat - Over The Top
My stab at this funky 70s style rock song. Let me know how it sounds on your system and what you think. Feel free to comment. Of course, I'll return the favor by commenting three of your mixes. Cheers! Smile

.mp3    Over The Top 3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.11 MB)

It sounds very authentic 70s american rock to me.
The slap delay is great for the solo after solo on rhythm guitar it steal too much if ghe groove, I would back it off some there.
Snare sounds wonderful.
Its a very dry mix verb vise ? Not that its a bad choice, just noticed it.
Does the organ only play in chorus ? If so it could have a little less volume

Great mix, very nostalgic and pleasant for an old man like me Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Nice mix. The vibe fits the song.

I would only make the kick drum a little less muddy in the low mids and the hihat less upfront.
Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.
(31-07-2014, 11:22 PM)Voelund Wrote: It sounds very authentic 70s american rock to me.
The slap delay is great for the solo after solo on rhythm guitar it steal too much if ghe groove, I would back it off some there.
Snare sounds wonderful.
Its a very dry mix verb vise ? Not that its a bad choice, just noticed it.
Does the organ only play in chorus ? If so it could have a little less volume

Great mix, very nostalgic and pleasant for an old man like me Big Grin

Thanks Voelund! I have a tad reverb on the vocals and drums. Also the distorted slap delay it used to add a little stereo depth and vibe.

Did you listen on cans or monitors?

Cheers! Smile

(01-08-2014, 12:21 AM)jeremias666 Wrote: Nice mix. The vibe fits the song.

I would only make the kick drum a little less muddy in the low mids and the hihat less upfront.

Thank you! I'll look into the drum sound some more...

Did you listen on cans or monitors?

Cheers! Smile
Cans
Listenin on speakers now, if I say JBL you may like that ? I dont listen on JBL, but your mix got the good quality of that term in my book, clear dynamic topend, controlled not too deep low end and clear mids.
I guess thats what you were after ? I wonder what your mix would sound like with drum bus little less volume ?

Just realize I have to make clear I think you make great mixes ! You got a skill for drum sound and that JBL quality. Wish I had that Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
mix is really dry, which is not bad.
the bass is ok, but i am sure could be a lil moar present in the middle area.
snare is gorgeous but maybe too much upfront.
guitars are pleasant.
i cannot hear the toms in certain passages.
Amphibian -

Sounds good, man. I think the vocal treatment is especially nice and suits the song really well. Personally I'd back off the reverb just a bit on the guitars as I think it muddies the tone just a bit (agree with Voelund, that after the solo, it takes away a bit from the definition of that part when it all drops down to guitar and vocal.) Also, I'd bring up the background vocal just a bit, but that's a personal choice. Nice dynamics in the song throughout and a good treatment for a straight ahead rock tune. Keep up the good work!
hi hat sounds good. I might try to eq the kick some. I think the organ thingy is weird. I ended up taking some lows out of the organ. Question the reverb on the back vox. Good mix.