Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DarkRide -Burning Bridges /CRITIQUE THIS PLEASE
Metal...wow been a while. Here it is! Great recording did this in an hour or so. Teach me how to mix metal, please!

2nd attempt w/mix buss compression x4. Still need an EQ! I fell like I got the control but could use an EQ and a limiter, to get some sparkle/grit and volume.

Mixing stuff like this is out of my realm now a days but I definitely cut my teeth in the studio recording metal and punk. There were few opportunities back then to mix but all the mixers loved the way I recorded the material and never having to use Hi-Pass filters on the guitar or bass. My first love is recording but my wife is the mixing console.
btw Great band!~
Cheers!

.mp3    DarkRide_BurningBridges dpp mix 2.1 Mix Buss Outboard.mp3 --  (Download: 8.66 MB)

cheers mate,

the vocals at 1:18 are not loud enough and you should seperate the screams at 1:23 with panning. the solo guitars are just a tad too loud. The bass slide at 3:03 could be louder to give the final chorus more impact.

you could give the whole mix a little bit more separation. e.g. poke some holes in the guitars with 1-2 eq cuts to make room for the vocals, bring out some details with automation, give the bass a little bit more room. overall you also need more impact - check spedes mix and listen how the chorus "explodes" at 1:43 and 3:02
Thanks for the advice. I have heard MANY of Spede's awesome mixes and he has his own style, very BROWN types of tones and mixes with SUPER saturation. I do my best to get what compels me. I need a 2 buss EQ! Coming soon!~
Thanks again!
(31-07-2014, 12:28 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: cheers mate,

the vocals at 1:18 are not loud enough and you should seperate the screams at 1:23 with panning. the solo guitars are just a tad too loud. The bass slide at 3:03 could be louder to give the final chorus more impact.

you could give the whole mix a little bit more separation. e.g. poke some holes in the guitars with 1-2 eq cuts to make room for the vocals, bring out some details with automation, give the bass a little bit more room. overall you also need more impact - check spedes mix and listen how the chorus "explodes" at 1:43 and 3:02
on top of that, maybe your toms should be panned harder.
your mix has a good, dark sound but lacks punch. god job anyways!
Pretty good balance between everything. Needs more bottom end on everything. Did you low cut this? Everything is a bit middy on top of that. Gtrs might be a tad out front. Vox could come up a bit.
Most of my mixes can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/conman57
Please comment on my mixes.