Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Mix ever (please comment)
This is the first time i am mixing a song that i haven't tracked/recorded myself.

I haven't automated volume for any tracks, as I don't really know how to. S any advice on that and any other suggestions are welcome.

Thank you in advance Smile

.mp3    Butterfly Effect.mp3 --  (Download: 10.94 MB)

the overall mix sounds a little muddy. instruments are well balanced. voice is a little boxy and i cannot hear the BGV. maybe it's me? i like the drumkit!
Yeah the backing vocals in my opinion are a bit too quiet, could possibly add a touch of reverb or delay on the main vocals to make them 'pop' a bit! I like the electric guitar panned to the left!
Sounds good, some reverb could have been used, but then you would have lost the closeness of the vocals that you had, which I personally liked. I'm currently working on this song as my second mix ever. Quick question though, did you find that the room mic track was way out of sync? Not just out of phase, I actually found it to be completely useless and considering muting that track altogether and adding a little extra reverb on the drum bus instead.
hey thanks for the replies.

@vinniezero - You're right about the b.g. vocals. I'll try bringing them up.
I'll also try EQing the low mid range on the mix bus to clear some mud. Between 200-500k. That should help, shouldn't it?
I added a distorted double of the vocal track, do you think that is causing the vocal to be boxy?

@Old_Ben - I'm not really great with reverb (esp on vocals). I added some reverb but I don't like vocals being too prominently "verby". I'll try sending them a bit more to the Reverb track to see how they sound. What reverbs do you use on vocals?

@musirez - The room mic track gave me a lot of trouble too, but I ended up using it in the end. The way I mixed the drums were: setting the right levels; basic eq, compression for kick and snare; EQing, compressing the Drum group to get the overall sound. Then when i got close to what i liked, i did some parallel compression for the kick and snare. Before sending it all to the Reverb track.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the comments people. Lemme know if you have anything else to add.
Cheers.
I'm currently only using the stock reaper one reaverbate, I haven't gotten the best grasp on reverb yet either, but what I do is select a preset and make a note of where each setting is, and take it out, add it to max, and adjust it until I like that setting and move on to the next. Then I'll do that with the wet signal, put it right up and take it out so I can just about hear it, then switch it on and off in the mix to see if it fits right. The reaper stock delay also is good for vocals, doing the same thing with the vocal fattener preset can help.

Then do the same thing with your master reverb (if your using one!)
(01-08-2014, 01:12 AM)musirez Wrote: Sounds good, some reverb could have been used, but then you would have lost the closeness of the vocals that you had, which I personally liked. I'm currently working on this song as my second mix ever. Quick question though, did you find that the room mic track was way out of sync? Not just out of phase, I actually found it to be completely useless and considering muting that track altogether and adding a little extra reverb on the drum bus instead.

Try sliding the room mic back in the arrangement ( to the left) in 128 increments till it matches up. Worked for me.