Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amphibian Mix: Georgia Wonder - Siren
Hi guys!

This song is really great and was a joy to work with. So here's my stab at this. Let me know how it sounds on your system and what you think.

Feel free to comment. For every comment you do, I'll comment three of your mixes. Cheers! Smile

.mp3    Georgia Wonder - Siren.mp3 --  (Download: 14.38 MB)

Put the kick down a little bro it is dominating the place put the guitar up the instruments looks buried. good luck
Stop collecting plugins and hardware. First understand the tool you got and then look for extension when you reach your limit.
Thanks for the input and listening, I appreciate it!

The kick is intentional, as are the instrument levels. They all get their moment though... Did you listen all the way through?

Cheers!
(28-07-2014, 02:47 PM)Amphibian Wrote: Thanks for the input and listening, I appreciate it!

The kick is intentional, as are the instrument levels. They all get their moment though... Did you listen all the way through?

Cheers!
i didn't say it is a bad mix.
honestly the moment the vocal come up I just stopped. Because it looks like the singer is singing for the drum not for the band. the guitar is almost dead to me. the song has lost the character. because of the dominated drum with the detune bass. and again I didn't say it is a bad mix.
Stop collecting plugins and hardware. First understand the tool you got and then look for extension when you reach your limit.
(28-07-2014, 02:59 PM)Bereket Wrote:
(28-07-2014, 02:47 PM)Amphibian Wrote: Thanks for the input and listening, I appreciate it!

Cheers!
i didn't say it is a bad mix.
honestly the moment the vocal come up I just stopped. Because it looks like the singer is singing for the drum not for the band. the guitar is almost dead to me. the song has lost the character. because of the dominated drum with the detune bass. and again I didn't say it is a bad mix.

I get that, but the song evolves... But you didn't listen all the way through. Anyway... Big Grin
i'd bring up the BGV in the choruses. kick is driving the song together with the snare, so i guess it's ok for the genre. nice job @4.00". i wuvs filtering out stuff. the overall mix is very good. i would add a bit of top end, but that's my taste.
cheers!
Hey Vinnie!

Yes, that was my thought too, the "come to me" phrases need to be louder. But I seriously struggled with them. The vocals in the stem pack are all processed and these sound really harsh IMHO. I couldn't get them to sit right when they were up to level. I had an idea of placing an instrument up front instead and have the BGV's the same level as now. What do you think?

More top end? Could be...

Thanks for the comment and listening, I really appreciate it! Smile
I like a lot about your mix
Drums drive the song good, middle part you put your own touch on, interesting highlightin diffrent part of the (too many) synth parts in diffrent section of the song.
Also you didnt boost highs, pleasant to listen to, even on my fairly bright akg k240 cans.
What I would suggest changed:
Chorus vocals (come to me etc. ) are too thin and low volume compared to the lvl of verse vocals.
If you want them distant, why not give them bit more verb, the song is called "siren" and to me that gives the picture of distant singin drivin the sailor mad.

I have to say it. When the guitars play minor chords, one of them play major. Its a clash of notes, very ugly first you hear it. I suggest mutin first elctrc guitar, hes tge bad guy as I remember. We all know the Hendrix chord E7#9, but thats a major note nearly an octave under the minor note. Here its a major/minor clash with only half a note between them and its one o the ugliest chords I know.

But that doesnt change the fact I enjoyd listening your version of the song.

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Thanks Voelund! Yes, I removed one of the bad guitars... But there's one clash I really liked that made it, kinda has this Depeche Mode timbre to it.

I will work on the vocals some more. Some of the endings of phrases are too abrupt and some of them have this artificial vibrato added.

The "Siren" aspect of the song is cool, I didn't think about that initially. Smile

Cool, thanks!
Sorry for joining the party a little late guys, but I just had a listen to this mix and I like it a lot. I think you deserve my honest opinion before I've read the prevoius comments, so here goes: Great push in the low end, nice stereo image. Nice priority of levels. If you raise the level of the vocals in the refrrain it would be even better. Maybe a tad to dry? Try experimenting with multiple delays to make that siren really drip! :-O

-sgtpetter

My mix is here if you have time to take a listen: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=5719