Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix of I'm Alright, any feedback is appreciated
Hi guys/gals, mixed this in REAPER with some automation here and there.

This is my first mix with stems from this site so would appreciate any feedback, positive or negative.

Interesting that some of the tracks already contained multiple things and seemed fairly balanced, e.g. the Percussion as 1 stereo stem and vocal tracks containing harmonies etc. Is that normal practice for stems here or rather, an unusual case?

.mp3    I\'m Alright (BimJeam mix).mp3 --  (Download: 6.82 MB)

Listen to what a compressor is doing. I can't explain by saying that the drum is over compressed or this or that but make your homework what a compressor is and what it does. it is very very essential. not long ago, I used to just turn knobs put compressors on the mix but finely understood what a compressor is doing after one year of studying it as my main goal to understand the ins and out of it. my mix just become better and better. what I'm saying is most of the time what I see submitted song here are lack of understanding what a compressor doing. we want to make the music loud we put compressor and limiter. the funny thing is without those thing the mix by itself is loud. anyways, Study compressor, limiter, Leveller, reverb, delay, just study them and you will be a fantastic mixer if you are serious about it. that's all I can say. Good luck. Oh know your DAW. select a DAW that fits you. be creative use your imagination before you start mixing there is no rule you mentioned about harmonies and stuff. if you want u can use them if you don't u can leave them. you can create your own melody too on the mix. Good luck
Stop collecting plugins and hardware. First understand the tool you got and then look for extension when you reach your limit.
(18-07-2014, 02:35 PM)BimJeam Wrote: Interesting that some of the tracks already contained multiple things and seemed fairly balanced, e.g. the Percussion as 1 stereo stem and vocal tracks containing harmonies etc. Is that normal practice for stems here or rather, an unusual case?

You will find each song is different as to the level of comping/pre-mixing. Some contain each individual mics/DIs as a separate track. Others have merged stems with some effects already printed. Songs with programmed elements (drums) often have those as single stereo stems. Some have the BVs merged. Lead vocals are usually comped already, but dry.
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
Thanks for the info jeffd42
Thanks for the comments Bereket, although I'm not sure I understand all that you're trying to say. Could you perhaps post an example of how you would mix this song so I could try to hear what you are getting at?

If you wan't to really listen to and understand compression set it up this way:

1. Put your ratio to the max, release to slowest, and attack to fastest

2. Adjust so you have a steady -12 db of reduction at peaks.

3. Adjust your ratio like you would a camera. Treat it as if its you focusing in and out on your source.

4. Adjust your attack so your catching the transients where you want them and then adjust your release as wanted.

5. Reign in your threshold so your not applying anymore then -3 db on peaks (typically speaking of course there are no rules really).

Just remember to listen all the time and intently. Don't just go for what sounds different go for what sounds right to the music.
Levels/Balance are pretty good.

Sounds like you're hitting the drums with a transient shaper and some aggressive compression (possibly both). Makes them sound a bit squashed and flat as a result. Snare seems to be missing some sizzle (~5K).

The acoustic guitar processing seems a bit extreme -- and the sound ends up a bit brittle as a result.

The other instruments in the mix could benefit from some more aggressive complementary EQ -- so they're not competing for the same spot in the lower mids (although I admit to sometimes cleaning that area out rather to successfully in my mixes and thus killing some of the "warmth" (so its a matter of taste/style there).

Hope this helps. All comments gratefully accepted on my mix too if you have time to listen.
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42