Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Out Betty Mix
Hey there, here is my mixdown including some extra guitars.. hope you don´t mind. See ya! Big Grin

.mp3    mix3.mp3 --  (Download: 2.37 MB)

You've taken a much harder sound for this than I'd have gone for, which is intriguing, although I'm not sure I'm convinced that it works as well as a more intimate version. Irrespective, there are some aspects of the depth perspective which seem a bit odd. The cymbals (especially the ride) appear to be closer than the vocal, for instance, and the kit as a whole appears quite far in front of the all guitars -- all of which feels a bit unnatural.

In general the vocal level feels underplayed throughout. To be honest, the lyrics are one of the biggest things going for this song, so it seems a bit of shame that I have to strain to really hear them. I'd personally have tried to grab the listener more with them, so that they immediately associated with the character of the lead singer and got more drawn into the song.

The stereo image puzzles me a bit too, in that you've spread the drum kit very wide (as if the snare's centrestage but the hi-hat's almost in the wings). and yet everything else seems rather narrow. It just doesn't quite add up emotionally for me. Perhaps some more sense of stereo 'wall slap' would help to remedy this, in conjunction with a slightly narrowed overheads panning.