Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Butterfly Effect - Preach Right Here
Well, downloaded it this morning and though to have a stab at it while I had a bit of downtime.

Aim for the song... Make it sound 90's. LOOOONNNNGGGG pre delay on the snare verb. Some harsh EQ's on the drums. Delay on the guitars FX bus.

So, some fun was had with it.

.mp3    Butterfly Effect - Johann Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.24 MB)

"Anything too dumb to be spoken should be sung" Know your bones - aKing
Hey Nep5, a nice mix in many ways. Just a few things I'm noticing - The dulcimer is a good bit too bright in my opinion, and the cymbals are a bit harsh on the ears. The backing vocals could use a little bit of gentle tuning on the long notes and the lead vocal is very sibilant... needs a low shelving cut in my opinion, too. I think the electric guitars could come up a bit in level if you sacrificed a bit from the dulcimers and acoustics when they're playing together. The snare sounds a little hollow, but I think that's more a matter of personal taste.

To some people it wouldn't matter, but if you reference this against music of a similar style you'll find that the bass is much louder than most listeners are accustomed to for rock. The current EQ curve sounds more similar to an urban/rap mix, but if that's yo thang, that's cool, just an observation.

Good job, dude, keep em coming.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Nice clean mix.....sounds like you had a lot of fun with fx. One of those mixes where i think anything goes...or at least there's scope for lots of variety in peoples final mixes.

My only observations would be to maybe think about some/more automation on the FX faders.....maybe slightly lower levels on then snare from time to time to keep it fresh ....maybe ride the vocal fx up from a lower level on the "sun shines just as beautifully.." opening phrase of the chorus to avoid hearing the fx tail.....just little things....so you hear them without noticing them kinda thing.

Good job