Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facade
Thanks for the listen and any input Smile

.mp3    Facade.mp3 --  (Download: 6.34 MB)

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
sounds quite nice on my shitty headphones in the office. bass is a little bit too loud, and I don't like the vocal reverb in the chorus - it's too much and takes more space then the vocals itself.

the start of solo guitar in the second chorus an the bendings sound weird. like all distorted guitars on this track the "solo" is not really well recorded - it sounds awful.

Bob, i simply adore the cymbals here! most budget recordings suffer immensely in the OH department, no doubt contributed by cheap China mikes and low ceilings. and if this wasn't enough to contend with, there's aliasing just to drop a monster spanner in the works! the top end here is ultra smooth and makes great listening! awesome recovery from a potentially fatiguing mix!! Wink

i understand the issues with the guitars and the so-say phase problem, and i guess this set the scene somewhat for your vision? if this helps, my approach would have been to let the verses run in mono-style format, but give the choruses some stereo kick to drive the song. take your chosen guitar track, duplicate it, flick the phase of one so they disappear....then EQ them. the minute you start tweaking, you will hear the "difference" occurring. it goes without saying, that the greater the disparity between the two EQ strategies, the more you will win in differentiating the guitars....and the better they will deliver in stereo AND mono. but you need to make sure you modulate one for best effect (or both...if both, it's essential the settings are in some way different too, but try to keep the modulation quite subtle). you can also nudge one track backwards and see how this fares.....the nudge amount should be enough to suit your taste. then you can sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour....and we can join in that too Big Grin

(18-07-2014, 11:50 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: sounds quite nice on my shitty headphones in the office. bass is a little bit too loud, and I don't like the vocal reverb in the chorus - it's too much and takes more space then the vocals itself.

in a world where there's a rule book for everything, you'd be right to criticize this, but this is music, and music is art. and being art we don't expect everyone to like what we've done. liking is a matter of taste and subjectivity - one person's Heaven is another's Hell, and it's certainly not a technical error - Bob's been around long enough to understand such things, so clearly he's done it for good reason......and you've perhaps missed this, may be due to stereotyping?

i personally loved the vocal here....it made a refreshing change to the boredom and monotony of compliance out there and the apparent need to meet expectations. dude, if we all resisted change and didn't push the boat out.....there wouldn't be metal-heads proliferating the planet because there wouldn't be metal, eh?

Quote:the start of solo guitar in the second chorus an the bendings sound weird. like all distorted guitars on this track the "solo" is not really well recorded - it sounds awful.

so what?

to a decent mixing engineer, this presents an opportunity, not a threat. if something doesn't work...smash the living daylights out of it with distortion and FX and give your audience something FRESH to contemplate...that is, if you are bold enough and creative enough to navigate uncharted waters Big Grin

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
I was listening to his mix in the office and this is what came to my mind so I wrote it down. I don't think there is anything wrong with that Tongue