Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mix of High Horse
20-11-2012, 05:28 AM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2012 09:47 AM by emilyeck.)
Mix of High Horse
Hello! Here's my mix of 'High Horse'. Feedback welcome!
Monitored on Beyer DT770, Event Opals, Boxer IV Mains

Thanks.
Emily Sleepy

.mp3   Eck_HighHorse.mp3 --  (Download: 13.56 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2013, 12:04 PM
RE: Mix of High Horse
There's a nice organic feel to this mix, which I like a lot in its own right -- it blends, it's got depth, and it's pretty well controlled to stop the wetness masking nuances or getting generally carried away. However, I do wonder whether your sound might be less successful at communicating the emotional message of the lyrics than a less conventional or hi-fi sound. This kind of thing is a judgement call, of course, but it's easy as an engineer to forget to listen to the lyrics and just mix on instinct in response to the music, and I don't know whether you've consciously thought about the lyrics in that respect.

On a technical level, the one thing I raised a slight eyebrow about was the floor tom, which feels like it's maybe going a bit strong on the 70-80Hz region, without an equal amount of subjective low end to the kick. Personally I'd probably rein it in a little there.

Nice job, though -- I like it, even if I might take a different tack myself aesthetically speaking.

Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio | Recording Secrets for the Small Studio
Quote this message in a reply

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: