Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: Enda Reilly - An Nasc Nua
(04-07-2014, 08:30 AM)Olli H Wrote: [M]aybe the guitar is slightly too thin now?

Hm. I agree. I originally had hipass filters rolled off at 100 Hz on them. When bmullen said the guitars were competing with the bass between 100-300 Hz I pushed the hipasses up to 300 to get the guitars out of the way. But perhaps 300 is too high; I pulled the hipasses back to 200 Hz, a nice happy medium which should get the guitars out of the way of the bass without sucking the texture out of them.

(04-07-2014, 08:30 AM)Olli H Wrote: But what am I to judge?

Someone who enjoys music. That's all you have to be. Wink

(04-07-2014, 08:30 AM)Olli H Wrote: Your mix sounds clearly better than mine.

Hm. That had me curious about yours so I went over to listen to it; my comments are on your thread.

(04-07-2014, 08:30 AM)Olli H Wrote: ABout the bass. I understand your point, but sometimes the peaks and valleys are not artistic choises, but are maybe caused by cheap instrument, or uneven playing technique, or room, or whatever. And that's maybe an area where mixer can try to help. And remember that this track was not an live situation where every player responds naturally to others' playing. I'm quite sure that it was played with closed headphones, and then it's very difficult for a player to create natural and balanced groove - well, at least to me.

Hm... point well taken...

OK. I added some gentle compression, just a ratio of 1.2:1 with a threshold of about 23 dB to try to smooth it out a little without sounding unnatural.

What do you think?

.m4a    An Nasc NuaA.m4a --  (Download: 7.44 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pedaling Prince Mix: Enda Reilly - An Nasc Nua - by Pedaling Prince - 04-07-2014, 08:53 PM