Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Nasc Nua - Olli H
The "slightly" unsteady bass was the reason I took up this challenge, and it was also the reason why I gave up maybe too early. But still, I tried my best…

Feel free to critique, I'll probably agree with each and every comment. Smile

EDIT: New version added 2014-07-14. This time no mono reverbs.

.mp3    2014-07-01-enda-reilly2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.68 MB)

.mp3    2014-07-14-enda-reilly2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.68 MB)

(01-07-2014, 02:37 PM)Olli H Wrote: The "slightly" unsteady bass was the reason I took up this challenge, and it was also the reason why I gave up maybe too early. But still, I tried my best…

Feel free to critique, I'll probably agree with each and every comment. Smile

HI,

panning the bgvs wider could have helped to create a wider stereo image?
guitar seems a bit more upfront than the vox in parts.
the guitar and vox are reinforcing a single freq which gets a little peaky at times? during verses.

seriously dont know what to say.It works.

Regards,
Blue Bus.
(02-07-2014, 06:56 AM)Blue Bus Wrote: panning the bgvs wider could have helped to create a wider stereo image?
the guitar and vox are reinforcing a single freq which gets a little peaky at times? during verses.

seriously dont know what to say.It works.

Regards,
Blue Bus.

Thanks for precise comments.

With this song I first made a version where backgrounds were muted altogther. In the end I chose current tactic where backgrounds can be heard, but they hopefully don't draw too much attention to them. Normally I make bgs more wide when there's also more instruments.

I'll check the balance issue between guitar and vocals. 90% of my mixing budget went to bass, so I might have missed some important things. I do remember that quite near the end of mixing process I made this song more trubadour-like, and diminished the role of all the other parts.

(02-07-2014, 07:55 AM)Olli H Wrote:
(02-07-2014, 06:56 AM)Blue Bus Wrote: panning the bgvs wider could have helped to create a wider stereo image?

With this song I first made a version where backgrounds were muted altogther. In the end I chose current tactic where backgrounds can be heard, but they hopefully don't draw too much attention to them. Normally I make bgs more wide when there's also more instruments.

Well I think in this case it would be wise to make them wider. The way they are now they do sound good but in the wrong way IMHO. What i mean by that is keeping them narrow kind of creates a "chorused" effect, particularly prominent on the choruses (you'd think that'd be a good thing Tongue). Chorus effects sound wonderful but they're more appropriate to pop and rock tracks. Whenever the choruses arrived I kept thinking of the Beach Boys, not the connotation you want to create with a nice acoustic sound like this. I panned them quite wide, as you heard in my mix, and it created a much more lifelike, natural sound (well, as lifelike and natural as it can get with the same man's voice providing all the harmonies... Tongue).

(04-07-2014, 08:30 AM)Olli H Wrote: I do remember that quite near the end of mixing process I made this song more trubadour-like, and diminished the role of all the other parts.

Which I believe was the biggest mistake here, IMHO. Those backing parts, particularly in the choruses, are a big part of the music's power. It's such a simple arrangement that the multiple vocals are really needed to create that emotional peak.

Actually, while I'm forced to agree with your assessment that my mix sounds better, this is not too bad really. The balance is quite good and the vocal sound, other than the narrow stereo image, is excellent. I do notice, however, that everything else sounds like it's coming from a ghetto blaster still in its box. There's a serious lack of air here, particularly noticeable in the guitars and, to a lesser extent, the violins. I recommend you play around with some EQ boost on them from 4-16 kHz, try to get some air back. As for the bass, I'd go the opposite way; it's balanced nicely but doesn't sound as full as it should be; it probably needs a little thickening up at the low end, from 80-250 Hz.
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
As ever, your treatment of individual tracks is very nice.

I'm struggling to get past the narrow stereo image.....it kinda sounds like big mono. I think this also means that occasionally, the subtle effects that you've chosen are adding to the congestion somewhat as they have no where to go, rather than giving your mix ambiance and space

I think this mix would sound great (cos your mixes generally do sound great) with more width
"Big mono", good description for with this mix I was practising the use of mono reverbs. The result didn't end up to be what I wanted it to be. I wanted to have a focused stereo image, but it came just an oppostite. So, I must study and practice that trick a little bit more to get the effect I want Smile (But probably not with this song anmore.)
I made a new version of this song. Faders down and almost all the plugins away, and then I build it up again. Biggest difference is the use of stereo reverbs.
The mix has a nice sort of mellow tone,maybe too much middle is the problem here.
I opened the tracks had a quick listen and turned the daw off.not for me this.
THanks for listening. You're probably just right: too much middle. But time to move on to new challanges