Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tears in the Rain
Went for big dynamics... as a guitarist this was a very fun project for me, although the comb filtering on the acoustic guitars was very frustrating to tackle Big Grin

.mp3    Tears In The Rain Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.63 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
this is one of the best mixes I've heard from you Pauli. Maybe it's the fact that you're also a guitarist, has made you work on this one with more "love".

The drums entrance sounds terrific! and so does the ambience and panning of the instruments. Good work!
mixing since April 2013
Really nice, Pauli. The acoustics sound great. It's probably a matter of personal taste, but the Nylon guitar is a little dry for me.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
(30-06-2014, 12:07 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: this is one of the best mixes I've heard from you Pauli. Maybe it's the fact that you're also a guitarist, has made you work on this one with more "love".

The drums entrance sounds terrific! and so does the ambience and panning of the instruments. Good work!

Thank you, what a nice thing to say Smile this one caught my attention right away because the electric guitars and the nylon stringed acoustic have such beautiful, warm tone. I wonder if maybe I could have turned up the reverb returns a bit, though.
(30-06-2014, 03:31 PM)bmullen Wrote: Really nice, Pauli. The acoustics sound great. It's probably a matter of personal taste, but the Nylon guitar is a little dry for me.

Thanks Smile I agree, the nylon is too dry. There is a short, quiet delay, and it's running through the two main reverb returns (one for ambiance and one for roominess)... how would you go about it? Should I turn up the delay send, the reverb sends, or do you think it needs it's own dedicated reverb send? I was wondering about maybe sending the delay to a gated reverb?
(30-06-2014, 06:13 PM)pauli Wrote:
(30-06-2014, 03:31 PM)bmullen Wrote: Really nice, Pauli. The acoustics sound great. It's probably a matter of personal taste, but the Nylon guitar is a little dry for me.

Thanks Smile I agree, the nylon is too dry. There is a short, quiet delay, and it's running through the two main reverb returns (one for ambiance and one for roominess)... how would you go about it? Should I turn up the delay send, the reverb sends, or do you think it needs it's own dedicated reverb send? I was wondering about maybe sending the delay to a gated reverb?

For starters maybe try turning up the delay send.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
I think this sounds a lot better. Turning up the delay all by itself overemphasized the transients, so I added a little reverb to the send to soften it up a bit.

.mp3    Tears In The Rain Master-001.mp3 --  (Download: 8.63 MB)

Nice job bringing out the string plucking on the acoustic ,the bass and kick could be a touch upfront Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Yes, I think you're right about the kick and bass... both are too punchy. I'm thinking about revising this one and giving it a bit more room sound and the mix as a whole is a little too strong in the upper mids.
Revised mix with improved overall tonality

.mp3    Tears In The Rain Master-003.mp3 --  (Download: 8.53 MB)