Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Atrophy' Mix
Here is a mix I did for a class. I converted it to a 320 Kb/s mp3 so it would fit as an attachment.

I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who has the time to listen to it.

Thanks!

.mp3    Atrophy Mix - mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.45 MB)

I like the spacey intro effects you've put together. Really nice subjective atmosphere there -- a bit of sound-design magic! Smile It's also interesting to see your more restrained approach to the big build-up at 3:20-4:22. That takes nerve, which is something I like to see in any mix!

Could you have the ambience close down more at the opening drum entry? As it is you leave the reverbs in, which leaves you less scope to build the space as the arrangement progresses, which doesn't help you when the chorus hits -- not least because your buss compression murders the big electric-guitars section starting at 1:09, and it's really narrow into the bargain. In fact, you've almost managed to reverse what I'd normally expect of verse-chorus dynamics in this style. Smile it sounds to me very much like you've mixed the verse first, got that sounding nice, and then tried to make the chorus sections bigger without having any headroom left to do it in, either in technical terms, or in terms of the mix techniques and resources you have at your disposal. I'd suggest trying to mix this track from the chorus, and then work backwards to the less powerful sections -- that usually heads of this problem.