Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cruising The Ice
Here is a mix I did which isn't too bad. Looking forward to hearing what terrible mistakes I've made and what crimes I've committed. Blush

Here is the secret link to the song on soundcloud. I dont have itunes and dont know how else to make an mp3.

http://soundcloud.com/eoghantyrrell/the-...ub/s-Fxb7D

Eoghan

.mp3    Practice Mix 5.2_new.mp3 --  (Download: 3.04 MB)

(17-11-2012, 03:58 PM)EoghanTyrrell Wrote: Here is the secret link to the song on soundcloud. I dont have itunes and dont know how else to make an mp3.

Welcome to the Discussion Zone. Have a read of this for some pointers on posting MP3s.
(17-11-2012, 03:58 PM)EoghanTyrrell Wrote: Here is a mix I did which isn't too bad. Looking forward to hearing what terrible mistakes I've made and what crimes I've committed. Blush

Heck, I don't know!! sounds great on my good IEM's. Excellent job imo.

Whatever you've used to do the MP3 encoding appears to have mangled the sound pretty badly -- so much so that I ripped the mix out of Soundcloud and listened from that. If you're going to ship mixes around to people, you really should try to get decent MP3 encoding sorted out, and I'd suggest at least 192kbps bit rate as well. That aside, however, i did like the general tone of this mix, which seems warmer and a little better blended than the preview mix.

I think you've leaned a little too hard on the synthetic strings during the opening section, and indeed during the outro. I realise the live strings aren't necessarily ideal to mix from, but it seems to me like you've gone a bit overboard in the other direction.

I liked the idea of introducing that percussion earlier on, which made a bit more of a graded transition to the full-beat section. However, that's some serious industrial distortion going on at 2:15! It's not that I mind a bit of grunge, but I wonder whether it's a bit too severe and 'blanket' to really serve the music here -- it obscures the musical lines and percussion details at the very point where they're getting most interesting, to my ears.

An interesting listen, though, so thanks for posting!
(19-11-2012, 01:20 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: Whatever you've used to do the MP3 encoding appears to have mangled the sound pretty badly -- so much so that I ripped the mix out of Soundcloud and listened from that.

Mike, I think his attached mix (' Practice Mix 5.2_new.mp3 ') is possibly different to the sound cloud one (which I didn't listen to) It certainly doesn't sound mangled. Then again I was only comparing to mp3s from indaba, where I just browsed over fromConfused.
(20-11-2012, 11:35 AM)electricladyLAN Wrote: Mike, I think his attached mix (' Practice Mix 5.2_new.mp3 ') is possibly different to the sound cloud one (which I didn't listen to) It certainly doesn't sound mangled.

Maybe mangled was too strong a word, but it definitely sounds muffled and there seems to be some kind of dynamic pumping effect going on in there that's really odd.

(20-11-2012, 11:53 AM)Mike Senior Wrote:
(20-11-2012, 11:35 AM)electricladyLAN Wrote: Mike, I think his attached mix (' Practice Mix 5.2_new.mp3 ') is possibly different to the sound cloud one (which I didn't listen to) It certainly doesn't sound mangled.

Maybe mangled was too strong a word, but it definitely sounds muffled and there seems to be some kind of dynamic pumping effect going on in there that's really odd.

I just listend to both, and the soundcloud does sound 'muffled' and distorted too, like it's a lower bitrate. Have you listened to the attachment?
(20-11-2012, 11:55 AM)electricladyLAN Wrote: I just listend to both, and the soundcloud does sound 'muffled' and distorted too, like it's a lower bitrate. Have you listened to the attachment?

Hm. That's what I thought I'd done. I'll redownload/rerip and double-check it in case I've done something stupid. Wouldn't be the first time! Blush

Hmm, I downloaded the mp3 and according to REAPER it was only encoded at 22.1 kHz,
meaning no frequencies abouve 11 kHz. Which is exactly how it looks in a spectrograph.

(Must do some more comparisons of my canalphones with other monitors. : ( .. and don't listen too late at night when I'm tired... )

Hey Mike,

Thanks a mill for the feed back! I'm not too long at this whole recording/mixing stuff so opinions from people who know are a great help!

With regards to the mp3 rip I'm not really sure if I did it right. I just used what was recommended in the link above.

...I'll keep trying Smile