Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Hollow Ground - Left Blind: Really good hardcore with metal guitars
I tried to keep it in the same ballpark as their other song "ill fate" but the drums were awful compared with their first song.

Besides all the mixing, fixing and automation'ing I´ve also added a real intro to this song because the tom roll was way too short =)

My goal was to mix this song in your face, aggressive and punchy. This song is not for whimps and posers or for the hifidelitist. This song is for the moshpit, and only for the moshpit. Amen.

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    Left Blind.mp3 --  (Download: 6.09 MB)

You are right. I experienced the same problem with the original drum tracks so i tried and replaced the snare and kick especially with better samples. This track is awesome though once you got it all mixed and set.
this one's smashing. you've got a great tone in general and it's really in your face. for me it's a bit lacking in the mids though. I mean you've got a huge low end and crisp high end therefore the mids seem a little weak.
maybe a bit too much scooping in the guitars, but I guess that's just personal taste.

all in all it's great and I used your mix as reference for my version of this song. maybe you can check it out and give some advice especially in your approach for aggressiveness and taming the top end which I think is a problem in my mix.
I didn't scoop the mids. In fact there is little to no eq on the guitars, only highpass/lowpass filters. That's just the natural sound of a Boogie Rectifier =)
I love the energy in your mix.

For my taste i would like the vocal to be a tad dryer and less crisp and more midrange on the guitars ,but thats just my personal preference..

Great one!

I might consider trying this track myself.
You got to believe in yourself before you can believe in anything else.
cool, you should definitely give it a try. This was one of my early mixes and I still really like it. The guitars are too loud but the mix has power and punch just like it should be.
Hi, Sounds like a lot of reverb, little too much for my taste. otherwise nice.

/C
Hey the mix is super solid and is great overall buy it think the drums are a bit weak
Yeah sounds very powerful !
But I think the recto scoop-ish sound don't fit with hardcore songs.
Also, the snare lack a bit of punch IMO.

Anyway, good job !
Hi Blitzzz,
Awesome mix, the bass, drums, and vocals sound really ballsy! The only things that come to mind as issues are the guitars and the toms. Both toms seem to have alot of resonance in the low end which interferes with the bass and the kick, try using a tighter sample maybe? The guitars sound good, but the model of the recto from ezmix is really lacking the upper mid aggression for metalcore, I would try another preset for the guitars or use another amp sim with more upper mids. Otherwise this is a really heavy sounding mix!
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6