Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Mix
My attempt at creating a warm 'Nashville-Style' mix...

Comments welcome and appreciated!Wink

.mp3    DeadRoses_mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 5.3 MB)

hi
its nice sound relaxing Smile but the piano have to much reverb on it and is to "boxy" it dosent fit with all othere , and the e-gtr is to low for leading part it need to fill all the parts.
but nice feal.
(18-11-2012, 09:48 PM)uzilevi Wrote: hi
its nice sound relaxing Smile but the piano have to much reverb on it and is to "boxy" it dosent fit with all othere , and the e-gtr is to low for leading part it need to fill all the parts.
but nice feal.

Hi Uzi,
Thanks for your feedback.
The piano in my mix was pictured as the 'glue' in the mid-highs so the level and tone was intended as rather brown-orange whilst most of the ambience comes from the room mics with a little reverb n the close mics. The e-guit should complement the piano in my mix and the doubletracking should give some movement within the soundstage. Hope this makes sense... Blush
Our 2 approaches to the mix have taken a different interpretation. I love your neat presentation and clear separation between instruments. However, the low end 'clean up' in your mix I find takes away some of the organic feel of the song.
But that is what makes mixing such fun... it's a real eye opener seeing how different people interpret the same song and come up with different mixes.
Thanks again for your feedback!
Cheers!
Nice, I like it better than the original. The only thing I noticed is the kick drum might be too loud or too bassy. It kept interrupting my focus on the music.
(27-11-2012, 05:20 AM)DanUpdegraff Wrote: Nice, I like it better than the original. The only thing I noticed is the kick drum might be too loud or too bassy. It kept interrupting my focus on the music.

Thanks for your comments Dan.
Cheers!
Another great mix of yours Clinton !

I really like the pleasant and fresh feel you gave to that song.
I totally agree with your choice of piano tone, a little boxy, but filling that mid frequency part... which leeds me to the point that if you mute it, there's kind of a "hole" in this frequency part.
Maybe lead vocals could be a little more "body" style, just a few, very few dB's on the 100-200Hz could be benefit... not even sure... talking about really detailed things that no one matters while lstening. Guitars (acc) could be maybe less "crystal clear" and have a little more body too, and the kick less low end and more 500-800Hz (can't hear it well on small speakers like Auratone and PC Craps!). I'll listen to it on my main monitors tomorrow cause i think it'll make me a nice waking-up piece of music !

Xabi
www.studiodeletang.com
Lots that I like about this one. There's a lovely clarity you've got going here. (Although I'm only listening on my PC speakers at the moment.)

(13-02-2013, 09:44 PM)Xabix Wrote: I totally agree with your choice of piano tone, a little boxy, but filling that mid frequency part... which leeds me to the point that if you mute it, there's kind of a "hole" in this frequency part.

Ditto, but I wonder whether you've been a bit too ruthless in this respect. I reckon you could round off some the guitar sparkliness (which is making it feel a bit too upfront anyway to me), and give the piano a little more of that action so that it gives a more hi-fi tone subjectively.

I have to say I'd probably use a bit more delay/reverb in general if I were after a Nashville sound. In particular I'd try to sneak in a bit more warm plate for sustain, and maybe a bit of subtle Lexicon-ish room to blend and widen things a bit more.
(14-02-2013, 08:25 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: I wonder whether you've been a bit too ruthless in this respect. I reckon you could round off some the guitar sparkliness (which is making it feel a bit too upfront anyway to me), and give the piano a little more of that action so that it gives a more hi-fi tone subjectively.

I have to say I'd probably use a bit more delay/reverb in general if I were after a Nashville sound. In particular I'd try to sneak in a bit more warm plate for sustain, and maybe a bit of subtle Lexicon-ish room to blend and widen things a bit more.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your honest review, as always. I get what you mean when suggesting lifting the piano subjectively to the guitars - in hindsight it will go a longer way towards the warmer, crafted style I was aiming for, as would the suggested ambience. However, I believe that any such ambience treatment would have to be filtered to the mids, say up to 2.5-4kHz to retain the lushness without making it sound too awash with reverb...?

Thanks again, and cheers!

Clinton
your approach seems so close of my approach of the song.... and i think that you record and extra guitar dont you?
(03-06-2013, 08:18 AM)arielguitarcr Wrote: ... and i think that you record and extra guitar dont you?

Hi arielguitarcr,

Thanks for your comments. I dont really understand what you mean by your last phrase... I only used the tracks available for download and did not add any overdubs, if that was what you were referring to. I did however, double one of the guitar tracks and off-set it slightly to the original to give a wider perspective.

Cheers,

Clinton