Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First mix, first post.
Well, technically it's not THE first mix I've ever made. But the first where I just got some tracks and started mixing. Mostly I've done some pop and rock demo production for my friends. I chose this jazz song because I'm not very familiar with the style, and I could then easily forgive myself in the case of total failure, but I think I got some things right.

Basically I listened mixes listed here and tried to imitate those I liked the most. I left it pretty dry because I'm not so good with reverbs yet. One ambience aux, where I have sent very little of everything and then a longer reverb for the piano, also very subtle. There's a fair amount of eq everywhere, and then parallel compression on drum group and bass. There'a also a gate on the bass, which I used to try to emphasize the attacks. I used some level automation to make room for and bring up the bass solo and the drums in the following trading fours. Master bus has linear phase eq, multiband compressor and a limiter. I can't be certain of the amount of lowest frequencies as I have quite small desktop monitors, and I just can't get the lowest frequencies right with headphones for some reason. It took two long nights to finish this, although I reset my mixer and plugins completely for about 3-4 times.

.m4a    jesper_buhl_trio_-_what_is_this_thing_called_love_(kapu_mix2).wav.m4a --  (Download: 14.9 MB)