Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semantics - what would Andy Wallace do ?
After listening to the reference mix a few times.. my guess is that the client (the band) like aggressive punchy mastering.

So I provided two mixes:
"Unmastered" and "Mastered"

A shit load of stuff goin' on in this song.. anyways, I'm kinda ear drunk on it now.. my mix is a lot darker sounding than the original.

enjoy,

Marc

.mp3    Semantics_Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 10.21 MB)

.mp3    Semantics_Unmastered.mp3 --  (Download: 10.21 MB)

Hey cool I was looking forward to this one.
For me im not a fan of Andy Wallace ,nice solid mix
and some nice bits you have done and that's nice.
Im also not a fan of the rat bass sound but suits the mix and that's obviously
what they wanted originally .
Great work you should be proud of this.
(14-06-2014, 07:50 PM)takka360 Wrote: Hey cool I was looking forward to this one.

Thanx man.. this song is an effin' bitch to mix, lol

I rendered and mastered my mix 3 times before I settled on a likeable one... yep 3 times !! bleh ! Confused

so many brash things to tame in this session. Sad

(14-06-2014, 07:50 PM)takka360 Wrote: For me im not a fan of Andy Wallace ,nice solid mix

ha..
you wouldn't be saying that if.. all of a sudden.. someone uploaded some Jeff Buckley sessions from 'Grace'.. Tongue

(14-06-2014, 07:50 PM)takka360 Wrote: I'm also not a fan of the rat bass sound but suits the mix and that's obviously what they wanted originally.

yeah, I don't really listen to this type of stuff on my own.. I'm hearing hints of influences from Tool or Rage Against the Machine.. etc

stuff that I respect but don't really flock towards..

One of the M Jackson tracks was mixed 91 times,they ended up using the 2nd mix lol.
Yes it is a bit of a pig to get stable.Lots of tracks on the forum are but its all good practice and that's what the site is about at the end of the day.
(14-06-2014, 09:24 PM)takka360 Wrote: One of the M Jackson tracks was mixed 91 times,they ended up using the 2nd mix lol.
Yes it is a bit of a pig to get stable.Lots of tracks on the forum are but its all good practice and that's what the site is about at the end of the day.

Geez.. that was Billy Jean !

91 mixes seems crazy

by mix two.. why did it not sound like a hit to anyone on the production team ?
Quincy Jones walked into the studio and was shocked they were still mixing in there and said God what are you doing when
they told him 91 mixes.He said play me the 2nd mix,they did and he said that mix is fine so they used it.
Bruce Swedien said about at one of his talks,will see if I can find it for you.It was one on Dangerous.
(15-06-2014, 11:11 AM)takka360 Wrote: Quincy Jones walked into the studio and was shocked they were still mixing in there and said God what are you doing when
they told him 91 mixes.He said play me the 2nd mix,they did and he said that mix is fine so they used it.
Bruce Swedien said about at one of his talks,will see if I can find it for you.It was one on Dangerous.

Bahaha.. Of course it was the second mix

great song, great players, great singer, great producer, great engineering, million dollar studio.. wtf ?

Strange how eddie van halen's solo in 'beat it' is actually a composite of two entirely different solos spliced together.. that solo is magic ! Cool

Billy Jean ,it was.Right first time.
The darker sound seems to open the mix up...plenty of headroom too...holds together well when played LOUD. Solid bass and drums sound great and really hold it all together. Love the drums in the drop-chorus

out of interest...what's your mastering process? I listened to both versions at a normalized volume in my DAW mastering suite and couldn't really tell them apart...but that's likely because i couldn't A/B them fast enough. I only work ITB so am pretty ignorant of the outboard A/D mixdown/mastering process in practice
As far as mastering.. It's all minute stages, in this case Adobe Audition

First EQ.. cut a bit of midrange
Use a brick wall limiter to make the track sound louder.. several passes in minute stages
check for sibilance.. use de'esser if needed

so.. I just listened to both versions with fresh ears again

I prefer the sound of the unmastered mix..

I'm thinking that the de'esser was probably set too aggressively in my mastered version, some of those frequencies between 3k and 6k are missing.