Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cur an long ag seol - voelund
What lovely language. I dontunderstand a word but it sounds so good !
I tried to tame bas, and phase alligned the 2 tracks to suit my ears, eq.d the drum (phase aligned too) and placed it somewhere under bas. I treated it as a pop song, the passage "cur an long ag seol" were strengthened by a copied guitar part and copied vocals as I found the voice wer just fine for dobletrackin.
I made an ending by copying vocals around and used mute buton here and there to make small diffrences between the verses.

.mp3    Cur an long ag seol 01 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 7.04 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Very live feeling. Suits fine this song. Excellent.

I like the way the instruments give room for vocals in the right spots. It feels like a bluegrass band that is dancing around one mic on the stage. If they know their movements, then there's always a natural focus in the sound.

I just read that you had done some editing. Very well done, as I was listening I didn't notice any added instruments etc.

Maybe slightly low-rumbling bass. The lowest bass noteshere and there has some sort of snoring sound.
Thank you !
The snorin bas may be some echo of my own sounds at night, even though I never heard it my wife insist I make such noises Big Grin
The editing is only a copied guitar in chorus, vocal double track same place and a repeat of the chirus double track vocals in the end. And some mutes.
I wanted to give each verse its own feel, without sacrificin too much of the fine playing
Glaf you like it !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
like the idea of adding DT vocal to choruses. I think you've done a good job taming the bass too...nice even level
Thank you Hb. Yes I felt like strengthening that beautiful part where he sings "cur an log eg seol" sounded so good !
I listened it again but I cant hear the snorin bas, maybe ear damage from my own snoring Big Grin
If Olli reads this you maybe will say around what frequency ?
I checked again what sounded to me as snoring. It's at least the F# here and there.
THe example is from 8-10 s.

THe string is resonating badly against neck. The effect is very audible in bass mic 2

Within my mix the resonance effect is even WORSE, as I haven't tamed so much that high resonance of the bass. Automated eq with 184 and 368 hz every time the player plays F# could help a bit without ruining the bass sound elsewhere.

.mp3    snoring-f-sharp.mp3 --  (Download: 41.87 KB)

Oh its in the instrument then. Im not sure I want to "correct" that, if thats how his bas sounds well thats what it should sound like in the mix. Havin had many funny guitars over time they all have their weaknesses and funny sounds. I guess double bases do too :-)
I lestened your soundfile and I actually love that litlle change of sound on the F# !
A bigger problem for me were the guitar slappin the strings on 2 and 4. In intro he slap them all beats, then change pattern in start of verse, I like verse pattern better but didnt move it around. Perhaps I shoud have ...
(11-06-2014, 03:40 PM)Voelund Wrote: What lovely language. I dontunderstand a word but it sounds so good !

Enda has great form of expressiveness in his vocal which oozes a certain kind of gracefulness, charm and eloquence, even sincerity, aided by great pitch and a smooth, warm timbre. he's certainly very engaging.

i liked the approach in this mix. not familiar with the raw goods though, it's difficult to be analytical in that sense, but the open delivery and connectedness of the instruments and musicians, i thought, was super. i wouldn't have known about your edits unless you'd said, so the transparency was great. i'd agree that anything we can do to add some synergy to a delivery can only be a good thing....and you do this well, spotting and working opportunities with consummate ease. that's a gift.

i thought the overall tonality of the song could have been moved to a slightly warmer bias perhaps, noting in particular the acoustic and mandolin. the intro, by way of example, had a brittleness coming from these two which would normally have turned me off, away, and gone for ever? i do understand, and to some extent sympathise with the view that if this is what the instrument is doing, then let it be, kind of thing (the discussion regarding the bass, for example). however, there comes a point where distraction and discomfort also need to be considered. microphones tell lies and sometimes if those lies encroach on our enjoyment, they need to be controlled accordingly. our ears behave differently to a microphone and what the ears hear aint what the mic is hearing. the audience listening to the recordings won't know any different if things are fixed, sweetened or enhanced in some way....but they will if the bugs are allowed to prevail. i'm not talking about radical changes here, just some control and balance in the sensitive areas of our hearing - especially around the 1-5Khz zone, where acoustics and mandolins can get ragged. but you had these instruments positioned well in the stereo panorama by way of level and in the depth field especially, which was cool.

not hearing the raw bass, it's difficult to say how much of the battle you won, but it's still a little ungainly in the mix, unfortunately. i don't think it would have needed much more processing to get it to behave, so maybe you gave up at a crucial moment? multiband compression would have nailed this, simply running one band! and it would have given the mix more headroom to work in too. the chat about the snoring bass made my day! Big Grin Thank goodness one of the musicians didn't fart! i'm afraid i'm with Olli on that one.....

last point from me here, but by no means least, is the vocal. Enda's dynamic delivery and change in tone, can sometimes result in a loss of clarity now and again in the mix, especially when the bass is roaring. i'd say this is a compression issue, rather than EQ because that side of the equation is working fine. indeed, if the acoustic and mandolin were tamed, it would automatically add clarity to the vocal in that all important mid range where our ears are most sensitive on the equal-loudness contour, but it wouldn't help the quiet bits when he's low in the register. vocal is king....it's crucial that it's working to the max.

no, this is the final bit....i like your processing on the master buss - your approach displays a sympathetic ear and a respect for the musician's performance. nice.

cheers!
time for a coffee...
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!