Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Alright-Please listen and give feedback
Hey guys I am new to the site. Looks like a great place to hone your craft and get great feedback on your mixes. So this is my first submission....let me know what you like or what you think I can tweek. Thanks!

.mp3    I\'m Alright (2).mp3 --  (Download: 4.11 MB)

Well, you accidentally uploaded two coppies of your mix but other than that, it seems pretty good. Smile

Percussion is a little loud I think. I'd also suggest taking time to listen to the instrumental parts separately and look for the neat little hooks and runs that you need to bring out more. There's some interesting stuff in this number. I can't tell if that's a delay or just a lot of short reverb on the vocal but it's interesting...

There are a few EQ and balance problems but this is a good first run. Now that you have a complete mix, give some of the others here a listen and see if anything catches your ear. It's a great way to learn and remember, there's more than one way to make a mix so don't be surprised if everyone approaches this a little differently.
Old West Audio
(12-06-2014, 05:49 AM)azwayne Wrote: I can't tell if that's a delay or just a lot of short reverb on the vocal but it's interesting...

There are a few EQ and balance problems but this is a good first run.

Thanks for your feedback! I took another stab at it focusing on making some EQ adjustments and balancing stuff a lil better like the Percussion.

The vocal is a short delay....it is the J37 Tape plugin with some delay.....I am not the biggest fan of reverb as I feel it can sound too unnatural.

Well take a listen to my new mix and feel free to provide feedback.

Thanks!

.mp3    I\'m Alright MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 5.4 MB)

This mix was a great improvement but now we're into Goldilocks territory with the acoustic guitar. Sounded like there was a bit too much of it now. Good luck with that. It kinda drove me nuts trying to get it to settle just right. Smile You might try applying some more compression on it and see if it makes it easier to match it up to the piano and rhythm guitar. Might also try to adjust your EQ curve to carve out a little more of that pick noise and deal with some of those transient tones that come from it.

Regarding reverb, obviously you're not a shower singer or you'd be totally in love with it. Wink

If applied correctly, it can make a big difference in a tune. Sometimes even going overboard isn't a bad thing. Listen to Judas Priest's "Freewheel Burning." Heavy reverb on the vocals and rhythm guitar (as well as snare and drum overheads, of course) is a large part of the shaping of the character of that tune. For most tunes, though, the best advise seems to be "turn up the reverb to the point where can just hear it and then back it off a hair. In that school of thought, reverb is best when you aren't really aware it's there until you remove it and things fall flat on you.
Old West Audio