Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Are The One - AZ mix
Okay, here's another one from Arizona...

This one was actually kind of interesting. Just a nice excuse to play, really, but then, do you need more from a song?

Obviously the tape hiss was no fun, nor was the ground hum from the synth but that's what noise cancelation algorithms are for. I also found it fun that the tape master was so soft that I had to boost every channel by about 10 dB just to get usable levels. I'm surprised everything came out so lean after that. That kick drum was also a problem. Sounded like the beater was rebounding against the drum or something. In the mix it sounds fine but by itself, it was all I could do to try to clean it up.

Oh, and the volume changes from one phrase to another and occassionally one bar to another within the parts made maintaining levels a joy too.

Anyway, tell me what you think...

.mp3    You Are The One.mp3 --  (Download: 15.85 MB)

Old West Audio
Oh, and yes, I know the slate is not part of the recording. I left it on the lead vox as a marker for absolute start of track and the more I played it, the more it seemed to fit the recording, kinda helping to set the mood, so I left it in. It just seemed to work...
Old West Audio
(03-06-2014, 07:19 AM)azwayne Wrote: Okay, here's another one from Arizona...

This one was actually kind of interesting. Just a nice excuse to play, really, but then, do you need more from a song?

Obviously the tape hiss was no fun, nor was the ground hum from the synth but that's what noise cancelation algorithms are for. I also found it fun that the tape master was so soft that I had to boost every channel by about 10 dB just to get usable levels. I'm surprised everything came out so lean after that. That kick drum was also a problem. Sounded like the beater was rebounding against the drum or something. In the mix it sounds fine but by itself, it was all I could do to try to clean it up.

Oh, and the volume changes from one phrase to another and occassionally one bar to another within the parts made maintaining levels a joy too.

Anyway, tell me what you think...

Nice warm sounding mix ,maybe the top end of the snare could cut through a touch more ,Don't tell anyone but I ended up replacing the kick lol Big Grin.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

mate, the sound is so dull, i can't hear high frequencies... a bit of tape noise followed by some hi end wasn't a bad idea Wink
Recording engineer David Williams said, “It’s quite ironic: We got rid of our
analog equipment, replaced it with digital, then spent the next couple
of decades trying to get the digital to sound like the analog we
got rid of.”
i forgot to tell you that your "noise killer" is amazing!!
your overall balance is good, just try to enhance high frequencies (between 10khz and 12khz) a bit (maybe +2 db at maximum), then try cut -2 db on 300 or 500 hz , bass volume is a bit low, percussions are too high in comparison to drums, vocals are a bit high, try cut 2 or 3 db.
cheers,
Sardhouse
Recording engineer David Williams said, “It’s quite ironic: We got rid of our
analog equipment, replaced it with digital, then spent the next couple
of decades trying to get the digital to sound like the analog we
got rid of.”
Yeah, I've found a few things about this mix since I posted it that I'm reconsidering. Every tune I mix from here goes into my regular rotation on my music player and you know, I gotta say, it's kinda cool when a song you assembled comes up for play. Smile So listening to it in that sort of context has helped me to see a few of the shortcomings.

Like I said, I'm going to have to take a fresh whack at it one of these days and see how it comes out.
Old West Audio