Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catching Up - Olli H
As a reference I used Bonnie Rait singing Bob Dylan's song. I was after a full, smooth and modern sound.

EDIT: totally new version added 2015-12-04

.mp3    2014-06-03-catching-up-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 8.53 MB)

.mp3    catching-up-2015-12-04-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 8.62 MB)

mmmm delicious mix!!! wonderful voice, mesmerizing bass and an intimate atmosphere that catches your attention right from the very first notes. I love it!!
mixing since April 2013
(03-06-2014, 06:54 AM)Olli H Wrote: As a reference I used Bonnie Rait singing Bob Dylan's song. I was after a full, smooth and modern sound.

i thought it was full. l liked the stereo image here a lot, it was really headphone friendly too - no mad panning; thank you, thank you!! exception was the drums...i really disliked what you did with them, sorry for that. if you'd like some detail, let me know and i'll elaborate.

i liked the vocal generally in principle, but thought it could have had more attention to the detail. highly dynamic stuff here to manage, and i think some of the gentle elements got buried, eg "thunderrrrr" at 1:37. then the vocal got a bit out of control around the 2:40 marker when she put some muscle into it. occasional words came over a little uncontrolled and ragged here and there, but i think this was because of your overall strategy on the compressors? perhaps some automated parameters here might have helped? it's a tricky job in a dynamic vocal, and while trying to keep it all as transparent as possible. loved the sound of her jewellery @0:43, but disliked the sibilance. i think more control of sibilance while adding some air to this vocal would help it deliver and connect. i'm still wondering over the reverb.....especially if you were looking for a modern approach?

the guitars had some smooth EQ'ing, great work here. i'd have liked to hear the slide come out in the mix more, if only to add some change to the sonic now and again and help add some fresh perspective to the arrangement. the bass guitar(?) has some amp noise which was a distraction in this song. for me, the bass was also a bit too forward and pushy because of it's level compared to the other stuff in the mix...so i'd have settled for a little less.

there's a noise on the outro, where the vocal ends, sounded like a switch?

anyway, hope this helps, must go....got some rhubarb crumble and ice cream to demolish!

ciao4now
Dave
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Thanks for listening, Dave and Juan!

(03-06-2014, 06:39 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: i thought it was full. l liked the stereo image here a lot, it was really headphone friendly too - no mad panning; thank you, thank you!! exception was the drums...i really disliked what you did with them, sorry for that. if you'd like some detail, let me know and i'll elaborate.

I'm all ears, I'm interested to hear comments on different drum tastes, for at the moment I'm struggling to find and develop my own view about drums.

(03-06-2014, 06:39 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: i liked the vocal generally in principle, but thought it could have had more attention to the detail. highly dynamic stuff here to manage, and i think some of the gentle elements got buried, eg "thunderrrrr" at 1:37. then the vocal got a bit out of control around the 2:40 marker when she put some muscle into it. occasional words came over a little uncontrolled and ragged here and there, but i think this was because of your overall strategy on the compressors? perhaps some automated parameters here might have helped?

I did quite much automation, but there's so many things to concentrate that certainly many important things have gone by unnoticed.

(03-06-2014, 06:39 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: it's a tricky job in a dynamic vocal, and while trying to keep it all as transparent as possible. loved the sound of her jewellery @0:43, but disliked the sibilance. i think more control of sibilance while adding some air to this vocal would help it deliver and connect.

De-essing was quite difficult in this song. I did my best. I did have a version with more air, but in the end I took off all the plugins (toooo many) from the vocals and did it with only couple of plugins

(03-06-2014, 06:39 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: i'm still wondering over the reverb.....especially if you were looking for a modern approach?

What was the problem with reverb? At the moment I don't know if a modern approach means "very little" or "huge amounts" of reverb.

(03-06-2014, 06:39 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: the guitars had some smooth EQ'ing, great work here. i'd have liked to hear the slide come out in the mix more, if only to add some change to the sonic now and again and help add some fresh perspective to the arrangement. the bass guitar(?) has some amp noise which was a distraction in this song. for me, the bass was also a bit too forward and pushy because of it's level compared to the other stuff in the mix...so i'd have settled for a little less.
I agree that bass is slightly too loud at the moment, especially when the second drum set starts.

(03-06-2014, 06:39 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: anyway, hope this helps, must go....got some rhubarb crumble and ice cream to demolish!

Thanky you! Very good help

like the warm character of the mix!and all the EGT tracks have a great balance too~ Good job! here is my mix~ would be grateful to hear what you think! http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=5953
Great job Olli H!
Vocal is really stable and have good place in mix.
Really nice sound. The overall tonality and panning choices sound great to me. My only suggestion would be to compress the vocal a bit more.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Thanks for listening. I also listened it again, and if I were to do this again, I might put just a little bit more compression to vocals.
New version, with new approach. I didn't use anything from the old version, so everything is new. I didn't even listen the old version before I had made this version.

.mp3    catching-up-2015-12-04-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 8.62 MB)

great version, Olli. I especially like the vocal texture and the lows. I couldn't find anything worth changing in your mix! fantastic!
mixing since April 2013