Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
no-plugin Mix - Will Knox: 'Cog In The Machine'
Quite a while it has been since I posted something here on the mix forums.
I had done a mix from here not so long ago I really liked but when I opened my session the other day I noticed more than half (the plugins on my master fader, busses, ...) lets just say all my plugins were gone.
So I lost it... Undecided

I mixed this song without using plugins.
I only used volume (faders), panning and automation. (fader and panning automation)
Also some little editing but nothing serious,
primarily the violin 'outro'.

It was kind of an experiment/learning tool for myself to see how good I can make a raw mix sound.
http://therecordingrevolution.com/2013/0...lugin-mix/

Maybe the violin is too harsh on some moments, maybe still use some E.Q.? Smile

I left the bass, kicks, vocals in the center.
Snare slightly to the left.
The two guitar tracks were panned in comparison to each other.
The tom tracks were panned slightly to the right.
The violin strong to the left aswell as the hats. (hihat)

How do you guys/girls pan your tracks?
I'm quite curious if someone uses the LCR-panning technique were you pan everything or hard left or hard right or just keep it in the center like back in the days. (way before my time)

I'm gonna try the technique in one of my (or my following) mixes.

.mp3    MachineMIX1.mp3 --  (Download: 5.35 MB)

I'm actually still inexperienced at mixing. However how I pan: vocals and bass in the center. I generally leave all the drums in the center (other than overheads). Guitars, pianos and other instruments depend on the song. I generally like it too be balanced in the speakers. This wasn't the case as the violin and hihat were hard left making it unbalanced. However this certainly was not a problem with the violin. The hats however were a bit too abrupt, as the don't go through the entire song and are somewhat a surprise when they come only from the left.
Considering there are no plugins and everything is dry, this is a very good mix. You could maybe add a room or hall reverb on the entire track. Just to "put the band into a room"
Please check out my version of the song
Thanks for the response.
I'm going to mix this further but I do not have a lot of time the next two weeks (or 12 days) because I have exams.
Maybe I can put a further goal,
make a final mix with as little as possible amount of plugins. Smile
Nice for the CPU as well.
This is my latest mix, with plugins.

A highpass filter on almost everything.
Saturated the overall mix a little bit, made a few little cuts and put some slight compression on the whole mix to 'glue' it a little.
I made a drum buss with compression on it.
Brought out the kick a little and cut that on the bass track.
To get the bass more 'in' the mix I drastically cut around 500Hz.
I made an extra bass track aswell that I mixed slightly in, that track was completely distorted.
It may not go well with the genre but it is always really subtle, almost not noticeable.
The hats were compressed pretty hard and fast (attack/release).
Some eq on the violin and vocals + compression on the vocals + a de-esser.
On one part I made this really 'spacy' effect with just some reverb and panning those to the complete left and right.
Also a delay on the vocals, on some speakers it sounds to loudly and on others (like on my cheap monitors) it sounds just fine, what do you think?

.mp3    MachineMIX2_session.mp3 --  (Download: 7.15 MB)