Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Perfect Day - Olli H
01-06-2014, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 04:44 PM by Olli H.)
Perfect Day - Olli H
Time to abandon this one. I tried to do 60's Doris Day sound but I guess I ended up into 70's.

I didn't use second drum set at all.

EDIT
New version (FINAL-perfect-day-olli-h.mp3) where the balance is done with speakers, not headphones.

.mp3   2014-06-01-perfect-day.mp3 --  (Download: 9.45 MB)

.mp3   FINAL-perfect-day-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 9.45 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2014, 04:07 PM
RE: Perfect Day - Olli H
I think its a great 60s mix, on a good day, or even 50s, if the record were new that is
Lots of fine details this mix make more clear thn my mix did, one of them bein the bas player bein a bit confused about some of the notes.
I didnt notice that before I listened your version
2.03 - 2.51 and 2.25 bein the worst. Im really not sure i should mention this as Im both embarrassing myself not hearin it before but I do as you made the bas and evrything else so clear that any playin mistake shows.
And I guess clarity were what you hunted for ?

Good idea waitin the pianos introduction for later ! Somthin strange happen 1.51 with piano or it conflicts with other instrument playin same rhythm 2 times only.

Your mix also includes the strummed electric guitars I forgot.

I think you did a great job of cleanin up those tracks and makin it a very clear ande easy to listen to statement.
The playin errors mentioned above are certainly not your fault, but easy to clean up.
My mix is so cluttered noone will notice Big Grin

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
01-06-2014, 04:20 PM
I don't know why, but there are mixes that are quite hard to get them straight whereas you can see that people here in the forum finnish them in just a few hours. I guess that sometimes we're not focused enough...

Anyway, I think the sound you achieved was pretty good. The only thing I wish it had was some more trebble to make it 'happier'.

Don't worry about the instruments playing mistakes. I have no music education and thus, I didn't hear any Big Grin

mixing since April 2013
Visit this user's website
02-06-2014, 01:54 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2014 01:58 AM by takka360.)
How can I say this,i don't know what you have done to the vox because they are real good from the start
and you seem to have taken the goodness they had to start with.
I can hear you have been working on your levels but too much I feel as is all pretty flat and boring sounding.
If you listen to Voelunds mix of this the vox are alive and so is the rest of the mix where things jump out and keep your interest a bit more.
Sorry if I sound harsh as I often do but I would rater tell people what I think and them do the same in return .
We don't become better mixers being lied too.
One thing I will say tho is well done for taking this on as I think it is one of the most challenging mixes on the forum to date.
02-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Thanks for listening all.
I made a new version where I checked some balances with speakers. I

(01-06-2014 04:07 PM)Voelund Wrote:  Lots of fine details this mix make more clear thn my mix did, one of them bein the bas player bein a bit confused about some of the notes.
I didnt notice that before I listened your version
2.03 - 2.51 and 2.25 bein the worst. Im really not sure i should mention this as Im both embarrassing myself not hearin it before but I do as you made the bas and evrything else so clear that any playin mistake shows.

My bass was too bright, I think. I'm willing to think that those bass lines were not mistakes. With slightly darker bass sound the changin chords go quite well together with constant bass note.

To me the kick drum is the culprit of out-of-tune-feeling. Inner mic seems to be humming badly near low c-note (127 hz, c=130.8 hz), and outer mic seems to be ringing around f-note (172 hz f=174.6 hz). I tried to tame those sounds little bit in my new version.

(01-06-2014 04:07 PM)Voelund Wrote:  And I guess clarity were what you hunted for ?

I was after clarity but not the brightness. My speaker-mix is darker

(01-06-2014 04:07 PM)Voelund Wrote:  Good idea waitin the pianos introduction for later ! Somthin strange happen 1.51 with piano or it conflicts with other instrument playin same rhythm 2 times only.

Funny thing, I didn't try to do any changes to arrangement.
02-06-2014, 08:32 AM
(01-06-2014 04:20 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote:  I don't know why, but there are mixes that are quite hard to get them straight whereas you can see that people here in the forum finnish them in just a few hours. I guess that sometimes we're not focused enough...

I think it's good idea to make a rough mix very quickly. And have that printed to some track, so that one can check that the slower versions is really better. Quite often I notice that my tweaked version is worse than the quick version.

(01-06-2014 04:20 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote:  Anyway, I think the sound you achieved was pretty good. The only thing I wish it had was some more trebble to make it 'happier'.

My first vocal version was quite bright, so it could be that the band was too dark when compared to that. Now the vocals is slightly darker, some instruments are also darker, but orchestra is slightly brighter. Hopefully they go together better now.
02-06-2014, 08:50 AM
(02-06-2014 01:54 AM)takka360 Wrote:  How can I say this,i don't know what you have done to the vox because they are real good from the start
and you seem to have taken the goodness they had to start with.
I can hear you have been working on your levels but too much I feel as is all pretty flat and boring sounding.
If you listen to Voelunds mix of this the vox are alive and so is the rest of the mix where things jump out and keep your interest a bit more.
Sorry if I sound harsh as I often do but I would rater tell people what I think and them do the same in return .
We don't become better mixers being lied too.
One thing I will say tho is well done for taking this on as I think it is one of the most challenging mixes on the forum to date.

I agree you totally here. If one gets only good feedback, then the developement will stop instantly. And futhermore, one must also learn that all these comments are one persons opinions at one particular moment. At least my opinons often change totally after a cup of coffee.

But anyway in this case, I agree with your critisism totally. I had very bad problems with that vocal sound. I just couldn't make it shine the way it deserved. In my new version I darkened some "ugly" instruments that were eating the brightness area of vocals. That made it possible for me to go towards slightly darker vocal sound. Also I changed the vocals versus band balance. But I tried to keep the full overall sound. Hopefully it's better now, but I know it's still not what the vocals deserve in this song.
02-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Sometimes for some reason, you can't make a mix sound well, Olli. Just give yourself a break on this one and try again in a few weeks from scratch. That's what I do when I don't get the right sound

mixing since April 2013
02-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Sometimes its good to have a break for a week or so from mixing completely .
You come back fresh and hungry .im due one myself.
02-06-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm due three or four Smile By the way, there's one that I've tried twice ending up with something awful but one day I will make it!! so give yourself a break and try in a few days or weeks again with a brand new perspective!

mixing since April 2013

Support my video work!
Advertisement: