Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preach Right Here
Thanks for the listen and any input Smile

.mp3    Preach Right Here.mp3 --  (Download: 10.21 MB)

.mp3    Preach Right Here Final.mp3 --  (Download: 10.21 MB)

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
I like it
Your panning decisions could be the foundation on a rethink of my mix, workin on it at mo
Guitars sound great and you made the kit work without the supplied samples o kick n snare
I liked the snare sample and made one big drum of both. But yours are the real sruff. Respect !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Shaker sounds a bit load mate,also the snare sounds really weak and the kick a bit clicky.
Have another go mate you can do better.
(28-05-2014, 06:30 AM)takka360 Wrote: Shaker sounds a bit load mate,also the snare sounds really weak and the kick a bit clicky.
Have another go mate you can do better.

I updated it with a bit more bottom to the kick and with the snare up a tad.
(27-05-2014, 10:35 PM)Voelund Wrote: I like it
Your panning decisions could be the foundation on a rethink of my mix, workin on it at mo
Guitars sound great and you made the kit work without the supplied samples o kick n snare
I liked the snare sample and made one big drum of both. But yours are the real sruff. Respect !
Thanks Big Grin
Well. Thought I'd review one before I head off to work. Smile

With that enormous bass in there this song is really hard to balance well. I'm expecting people to stumble over that.

You are not one of those people, however. Smile You took the approach of thinning the bass out, which I suspect most people will do, because it's not easy to find enough real estate in the frequency spectrum to bring it across intact. I know; that's the approach I took. Tongue Still, you give the bass more depth and presence than in the demo mix, and I like it overall. Nice tone to the vocals as well!

I do feel like maybe the master compression is a little aggressive. Not too bad but I'd like to hear it stepped down a notch or two. Speaking of stepped down, the one instrument that seems a little off in balance against the others is mandolin 2; it's maybe 2-3 dB too loud for my taste.

Outside of that, really nice! Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(30-05-2014, 11:46 AM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: Well. Thought I'd review one before I head off to work. Smile

With that enormous bass in there this song is really hard to balance well. I'm expecting people to stumble over that.

You are not one of those people, however. Smile You took the approach of thinning the bass out, which I suspect most people will do, because it's not easy to find enough real estate in the frequency spectrum to bring it across intact. I know; that's the approach I took. Tongue Still, you give the bass more depth and presence than in the demo mix, and I like it overall. Nice tone to the vocals as well!

I do feel like maybe the master compression is a little aggressive. Not too bad but I'd like to hear it stepped down a notch or two. Speaking of stepped down, the one instrument that seems a little off in balance against the others is mandolin 2; it's maybe 2-3 dB too loud for my taste.

Outside of that, really nice! Smile

Thanks for taking the time to thoughtfully review my mix, John. I agree about the dulcimer 2 track. I decided to automate the level down a bit in the louder sections. I updated the final track above.
This is one of the best mixes I've heard of this track so far. For the most part everything sounds really good to me... there are low mid resonances peppered throughout the mix (nothing too bad, and always a hazard when so many guitars are banging at the same time.) The acoustic guitars and snare are a bit wooly in the low end, and the snare could stand to be a good bit brighter, as I feel the "punch" but not much of the "crack," if that makes any sense. Some instruments seem really dry to me, though my version is the wettest I've heard so far, so that may just be my tacky love affair with reverb talking. The long notes on the vocals could benefit from tightened intonation for my taste, but this is a very good "garage rock" type presentation insofar as I'm concerned.

I agree with John on the master compression.... slow down the attack times a bit, in my opinion.

For me, a good effort and good result. Enjoyed listening.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!