Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spede's detune-, and delayfest (Preach Right Here SpedeMix)
Well, well. Been busy IRL with lots of mixing gigs this month. Had a day off and of course I decided to spend the evening with this one Big Grin

For some wacky reason this song reminded me a lot of Shinedown's first album's (Leave a Whisper) slower ballad songs. Mainly "Burning Bright". So I rocked that song out a bit before commencing this mix.

Inspired by that sound I put lots of FX into this one. I was kinda aiming for that stylistic tension that you get when you put some chorus and delay on acoustic guitar. Or when Andy Wallace mixes something more "earthy" sounding (and puts detune on everything anyway).

These source tracks had A LOT of noise. This was actually the first time I've had to clean tracks solely because of (digital) noise floor.

.m4a    Preach_Right_Here_SpedeMix.m4a --  (Download: 4.19 MB)

Sounds great here! I'm working on this one now ... you've set the bar high Smile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
wow! fantastic mix!! I fell in love with those drums!! I think I'm going to mix this one next... I have to practice my noise cleaning!
mixing since April 2013
Hi there Spede

just listened to your mix in my control room

This mix is starting to grow on me.. It's great to see you trying to make the mix sound big.. It's a tricky proposition, the bedtrack session was recorded in my parent's basement 14 years ago on DA-88 machines.

Your use of dynamic compression is quite aggressive, it's robbing the mid-range information a bit.. affecting the clarity in the midrange.. the bass guitar was tracked with a very thick tone.. it could be backed off a bit, it's quite dominant on certain notes and the other elements of the mix are sometimes swimming in that bass.

The lead vocal track appears to have a chorus fx on it in your mix, me thinks ? It sounds a bit boxy, as if the vocals were tracked in a small closet or something.. which wasn't the case.

I do like the idea of that doubled up harmony track in the chorus.. My opinion of it is quite biased on that, cause I know that you pitched my bandmates vocals up to achieve that, lol.. and it sounds like a chipmunk version of him.

anyways, very powerful mix.. could be tweaked in places, good job

You know your ways around drums !
Very diffrent mix than mine, but I like the power of the drums and the controlled evrything else.
The long vocal you copied under the solo is a cool addition, wish Id tought of that (actually I did but I ditched the idea )
The tuned bv are very effective !
Also a little thing like emphasing the snarehit 1.56 is very clever.

great mix me think !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
After listening this mix again after couple of days I realize it is pretty dark and bass-heavy mix. When I did another mix after this one (Drumtracks: Ghost Bitch), I ended up making a revision (after referencing) where I pulled my bass boosts in master and returned some of my mids (and added more top end in general). This mix would probably need same treatment.

The lack of mids isn't in the compression, since the way I compress actually accentuates mids but the because I cut the mids before compressing (in order not to overaccentuate). I'm noticing that I'm overcompensating at the moment. Especially with the vocals.

The lesson here for me to learn is to keep referencing to keep my ears level. Smile
Drums sound very good especially snare sound is top notch.
Amazing mix, great snare sound and back vocals .