Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: Forkupines- Semantics
I love the energy of this song but mixing it was a bit of a pain in the rump roast; the vocal tracks and drum overheads were both quite muddy. The drum overheads I could compensate for by boosting highs a bit on the close mics, particularly the snare, but the vocal tracks required a little more aggressive EQ to sharpen them up. I suppose that did come in handy when it came to balancing the lead vocal with the backing vocals, though; I only used gentle EQ on the backing vocals, keeping them soft and allowing the lead to stay in front.

Once again, brand new mix, still have the project, so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. Wink

.m4a    136 Semantics 1.m4a --  (Download: 10.66 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Another mix where the drums are struggling to cut through the guitars. Again parallel compressing on the drum buss will help with this.

Overall the mix sounds a little on the muddy side, which with all those guitars is easy to do ..but you can HPF the guitars fairly high while still retaining there sense of power, and the bass will fill up the low end nicely, supporting the guitars.

I think you've done a great job on the vocals and they sit nicely in the mix and have the definition you were looking for. I like the vocal delay lines you added on "the quiet part" Smile

(25-05-2014, 11:50 PM)sano Wrote: Another mix where the drums are struggling to cut through the guitars. Again parallel compressing on the drum buss will help with this.

Overall the mix sounds a little on the muddy side, which with all those guitars is easy to do ..but you can HPF the guitars fairly high while still retaining there sense of power, and the bass will fill up the low end nicely, supporting the guitars.

OK. I added compression to the drums to bring them out a bit and, taking a cue from your treatments of the guitars in your mix, I highpass filtered all electric guitar tracks at 149 Hz.

How's it now? Smile

(25-05-2014, 11:50 PM)sano Wrote: I like the vocal delay lines you added on "the quiet part" Smile

I know. When I heard that, I though to myself, "That needs something..." Then I heard that sudden abrupt silence right after it; experience has taught me echoes fill in those kind of abrupt silences quite nicely. Big Grin So that's how that came about.

.m4a    SemanticsA.m4a --  (Download: 10.72 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
You're defiantly heading in the right direction. The HPF on the guitars has helped clean up your low end. The high guitar part needs turned up though, it needs to come up quite a bit still to really give it clarity.

The drums are a little better but still have some way to go, no need to be shy with the compression on them as the genre calls for punchy drums.
(26-05-2014, 06:53 PM)sano Wrote: The high guitar part needs turned up though, it needs to come up quite a bit still to really give it clarity.

Which guitar part do you mean?

While I wait for your response to that, here's an attempt to bring out those drums a little more. Smile

.m4a    SemanticsB 1.m4a --  (Download: 10.71 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Track 24 it plays the same riff but higher.

The drums sound a lot better they are cutting through the guitars now. So good job there !
(26-05-2014, 11:05 PM)sano Wrote: Track 24 it plays the same riff but higher.

Ah, that one. OK.

How's this? Smile

.m4a    SemanticsC 1.m4a --  (Download: 10.7 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Yeah, sounding better now!
(26-05-2014, 07:27 PM)Pedaling Prince Wrote:
(26-05-2014, 06:53 PM)sano Wrote: The high guitar part needs turned up though, it needs to come up quite a bit still to really give it clarity.

Which guitar part do you mean?

While I wait for your response to that, here's an attempt to bring out those drums a little more. Smile

dont know if this would help but i re Eq the drum thro the buss on my mixer but like i said iam only 1 week in to this mixing thing so it could be the wrong thing to do