Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Semantics (Sano mix)
Not quite happy with the vocals, I found them hard to sit right.

.m4a    Semantics (Sano mix).m4a --  (Download: 8.19 MB)

(24-05-2014, 08:58 PM)sano Wrote: Not quite happy with the vocals, I found them hard to sit right.

Which explains why the vocals are the only thing I don't like about this whole mix. Tongue That being said, I'm not surprised you're having trouble with them; I did, too. They're muddy with very little high frequency definition; it's always hard to get muddy vocals to sit well. In my mix (posted here if you want to have a listen) I applied the following EQ to the lead vocals so they'd stand out more: -5 dB @ 80 Hz, +6.5 dB @ 5 kHz, +3.5 dB @ 12 kHz. On the backing vocals I was more gentle because I wanted them softer to play nice with the lead vocals, anyway. Smile On them, my EQ settings were: -3 dB @ 80 Hz, +1.5 dB at 6200 Hz, and +3 at 12 kHz. On all vocal tracks, lead and backing, I applied a hipass filter at 76 Hz, which is standard for me on any vocal. Give that a try and see how it works for you. Wink

As for the rest of your mix, I loved it actually. Big Grin Nice, bright yet solid sound you got out of those guitars; what did you do to them? As for the drums I don't normally like such a snappy sound but on this song it works; nice! I love the nice quick panning effect you did with the single guitar during that quiet, "How could you say" part! Cool

So, for the rest of it, I wouldn't change a thing; just need to crisp up those vocals. Big Grin

Nice work!
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(25-05-2014, 10:19 PM)Pedaling Prince Wrote:
(24-05-2014, 08:58 PM)sano Wrote: Not quite happy with the vocals, I found them hard to sit right.

Which explains why the vocals are the only thing I don't like about this whole mix. Tongue That being said, I'm not surprised you're having trouble with them; I did, too. They're muddy with very little high frequency definition; it's always hard to get muddy vocals to sit well. In my mix (posted here if you want to have a listen) I applied the following EQ to the lead vocals so they'd stand out more: -5 dB @ 80 Hz, +6.5 dB @ 5 kHz, +3.5 dB @ 12 kHz. On the backing vocals I was more gentle because I wanted them softer to play nice with the lead vocals, anyway. Smile On them, my EQ settings were: -3 dB @ 80 Hz, +1.5 dB at 6200 Hz, and +3 at 12 kHz. On all vocal tracks, lead and backing, I applied a hipass filter at 76 Hz, which is standard for me on any vocal. Give that a try and see how it works for you. Wink

Thanks for your comments and the Eq tips. I actually was about to post an updated version when I read your post. I had a bit of a battle with the vocals and I not quite sure who's won yet.

I hope they sound better, but I'm a little fatigued now and lost a bit of perspective on them.

The guitar tracks 19-22 I HPF to around 150Hz Panned them hard left and right sent them to a stereo aux with a little buss compression to tighten it up, dipped a little at 240Hz and boosted around 400Hz +2db to add weight and power. Then track 24 I HPF and added a little boost at around 4k and mixed on top to add the definition.

.m4a    Semantics 2 (Sano mix).m4a --  (Download: 8.18 MB)

(25-05-2014, 11:16 PM)sano Wrote: I actually was about to post an updated version when I read your post. I had a bit of a battle with the vocals and I not quite sure who's won yet.

Battle's not over yet, but you're winning. Smile This is much better as regards vocals, but they still need to be brightened up a bit. Maybe try a little EQ kick in the 5.6 kHz region? Just on the lead vocals; backing sounds fine.

(25-05-2014, 11:16 PM)sano Wrote: The guitar tracks 19-22 I HPF to around 150Hz Panned them hard left and right sent them to a stereo aux with a little buss compression to tighten it up, dipped a little at 240Hz and boosted around 400Hz +2db to add weight and power. Then track 24 I HPF and added a little boost at around 4k and mixed on top to add the definition.

Hm. I might try some of this in my mix. Smile

Thanks!
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Ok I had another look at the vocals, added a little eq and a little saturation to bring them up a bit more.

.m4a    Semantics 3 (Sano mix).m4a --  (Download: 8.23 MB)

(29-05-2014, 09:12 PM)sano Wrote: I had another look at the vocals, added a little eq and a little saturation to bring them up a bit more.

Almost there! Smile They're just a little too far forward now. It wasn't that I couldn't hear them; they were already at a perfect level before. I just felt that they needed to sound brighter.

The EQ settings I used on them were: -5 dB @ 80 Hz, +6.5 dB @ 5 kHz, +3.5 dB at 12 kHz. I also applied a high pass filter at 76 Hz. This is more aggressive EQ than I usually use on vocals but in the case of these they needed it; they sound rather muddy and dull, and they really benefit from this nice presence and air boost.

So I think if you dial them back to the level they were before and try those settings, or use them as an inspiration for your own, you'll get a much better tone out of them. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Nice mix!

I like the "Snap" you got on the snare, although missing a bit of hi end