Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enda Reilly - Cur An Long Ag Seol
Hi all

At first listen, this song did'nt seem the biggest challenge to mix, but I found it difficult anyway.

I think the acoustic guitar was a challenge to blend in due to too much dynamics. I had to compress it alot (and try to not get a compressed sound !) in order to make it audible all the time, something it is in the original mix.

The acoustic bass was also difficult, it was very active, played a lot of notes and with a very undistinct sound. The hard part was to make it distinct and still sound acoustic.

I also tried to make some "space" using reverbs

Tips and hints are greatly appreciated !

Cheers!

.mp3    Enda Reillly - Cur An Long Ag Seol mix3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.01 MB)

I agree that this on is deceptively difficult. Sounds to me like you've done a nice job with it.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Overall sound is quite pleasant, and you have nice and smooth hi-end.

But to me it feels there's something wrong with that bass. Some how it sounds as if it's out of tune. It prevents me from analyzing the whole mix. Maybe you could try to diminish it's role and not to make it so big. Think it as a family band where grandpa is playing double bass in the background and is happy just to support the younger generation's show. When the band plays no-one sees him, but if he stops playing everyone notices that something important is missing from the groove.
(26-05-2014, 04:51 PM)Olli H Wrote: [T]o me it feels there's something wrong with that bass. Some how it sounds as if it's out of tune. It prevents me from analyzing the whole mix. Maybe you could try to diminish it's role and not to make it so big. Think it as a family band where grandpa is playing double bass in the background and is happy just to support the younger generation's show. When the band plays no-one sees him, but if he stops playing everyone notices that something important is missing from the groove.

Olli, that is a perfect way to describe it! That's the kind of "word picture" that screenwriters like me are always shooting for in our screenplays. James Cameron in particular is a master of the "word picture" in his scripts. Wink

As far as the mix goes, I really enjoyed it, especially the cool way the vocal fades off into the music at the end. My only serious issue is what Olli here has already pointed out: the bass. I think it sounds great by itself, but it's a little strong. I'd pull it back about 3 dB.
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Hi Olli & John and thanks for your advice!

I've been without internet for a few days since the service broke down last friday, but now I'm back!

I do so agree with you both about the issue with the bass. In my mind, the bassplayer had to be upfront, since he/she has an active playing style and it would be like saying that you didnt appreciate his/her playing to put it in the back.

In the new mix I've moved the bass back, into the mix where it belongs and stylewise should be. I also lowered the nasal tone to furthermore help it find its place.

I must say that I really appreciate this forum, a place where one can have ones mixes reviewed by friendly, well meaning people, and therefore learn alot! Smile

Soon I'll have build enough confidence to comment on others mixes too!

Cheers!

.mp3    Enda Reillly - Cur An Long Ag Seol mix4.mp3 --  (Download: 7.01 MB)

Ah, now that's the stuff! Big Grin I love the beautiful way you brought out a kind of "boxy" feel to the instruments. "Boxy" is not normally a good thing but in this case it creates a sense of the ensemble playing together as a family in their living room which, prior to the invention of all these newfangled recording machines, Tongue is exactly how this kind of music would have been played originally. It's absolutely appropriate to the music! Nice! Smile

That leads me to the only flaw. Given the above, intimate, all-in-the-family image, that reverb on the vocal is way too expansive. The reverb itself is fine for presence, but given the feel of the rest of the instruments I'd dial it back until you can't consciously hear it in the mix at all. In other words, when you're listening you shouldn't know it's there, but if you mute it you'll notice something's missing subliminally.

Other than that, I just love this. Well done!
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Really nice mix. really like the space you've created. I know what you mean about the bass but I think you've managed keep the natural feel of it with out it being out of control (dynamically speaking)Smile
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
Mahatma Gandhi