Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
A Place For Us All mix
Please critique away! Smile

.m4a    04 A Place For Us All - FINAL AAC.m4a --  (Download: 9.08 MB)

Hello man! First of all I want to thank you for your comment, but I cannot really hear the distortion of the limiter that you said! Maybe this comes from the tons of the distortion on guitars and organ because I have almost no gain reduction on my limiter. So about your mix, I have to say that its very clean and well balanced! I am amazed with your lead vocals! Maybe the drums are very loud and dry in some parts (specially the crashes). Your vocals are also a little dry but that's ok I think it's your personal taste. Generally speaking you have done a very good work for this huge multitrack with great timbre!! Smile
Wow, this is really good. Great job getting the backing vocals blending... they feel great on my end. Only quibbles that come to mind at the moment: the overall sound is a little dry, and in some places the lead vocal feels a teeny bit too present in some places, almost like it's sitting on top of a backing track. I'm impressed by the balance and clarity, though... almost jealous Big Grin
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Nicely balanced mix everything thing seems to sit well. I like the simple yet effective use of delay on the vocal line ...numb at 1:06. The bass low end feels a little light to me. I think it could be pushed a little further giving your overall mix a little more low end power.
(22-05-2014, 11:12 PM)sano Wrote: The bass low end feels a little light to me. I think it could be pushed a little further giving your overall mix a little more low end power.

Awesome thank you for this comment Smile I've literally been guessing and referencing because I'm mixing on headphones for the next little while (just made a move from Boston to LA and sold my entire rig sans computer, UAD card, and a shitty Line 6 UX2 interface). Thats good to know that my guesses where right that it felt only slightly light (but I decided to trust what my eyes were seeing on the RTA) and that I can afford to push it a little more. In fact, that would probably clear up Pauli's comment about the Lvox seeming to sit too on top of the mix. As for it sounding dry, I know everyone is meaning the drums (especially in the quite epic sounding beginning); I chose to leave it dry because I mixed it with all Waves plugins (except for the pro Q and the random digi plugin) because I was too lazy to set up my UAD, and didn't care for the plate verbs I was getting with the drum sound. There is however a TON of ambience/air verb going on (not that you asked, haha). Needless to say, there's a method to the madness, but my appreciation for the kind comments is 10 fold! Big GrinBig Grin
very clean, balanced mix....love the long term dynamics that you have produced...each section has its own theme and they all blend together really nicely...love the articulation you get on the snare, toms and bass...they groove really well together.Cool

yes..drums in opening section are a bit dry...but the timbre is great and once the percussion kicks in during 2nd verse, i don't notice it anymore

great job