Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kat Wright: 'By My Side'
mix&master

.mp3    KAT CLEANED.mp3 --  (Download: 8.85 MB)

Little details always gives inspiration to change your perspective
Nice work!
To my ears, the drums sound too brittle and the horns sounds a bit too distant. The vocal reverb you used does not suit the vocal in my opinion. In my experience with this track, the vocal track needed a lot of cleanup to make it useable. I used Izotope RX to get rid of plosives. There is also an upper midrange pinch in the vocal that needs to be addressed, I did this using a dynamic EQ.
IMO, the mix could use more high-end sheen, more lower midrange warmth to offset the upper midrange brittleness of the drums and maybe even more low bass to give it solidity. I also think that you should try various reverb techniques to add some front-to-back depth to the mix.
(12-02-2024, 07:48 PM)Rob Cummings (Hot Milk Studio) Wrote: Nice work!
To my ears, the drums sound too brittle and the horns sounds a bit too distant. The vocal reverb you used does not suit the vocal in my opinion. In my experience with this track, the vocal track needed a lot of cleanup to make it useable. I used Izotope RX to get rid of plosives. There is also an upper midrange pinch in the vocal that needs to be addressed, I did this using a dynamic EQ.
IMO, the mix could use more high-end sheen, more lower midrange warmth to offset the upper midrange brittleness of the drums and maybe even more low bass to give it solidity. I also think that you should try various reverb techniques to add some front-to-back depth to the mix.
Thanks for your comments Mr. Rob Cummings.
Little details always gives inspiration to change your perspective
(12-02-2024, 11:05 PM)Mammy Wrote:
(12-02-2024, 07:48 PM)Rob Cummings (Hot Milk Studio) Wrote: Nice work!
Thanks for your comments Mr. Rob Cummings.
Hey no problem Mammy. I just finished a second mix version and am about to upload it. I found the many of the Telefunken mics tend to have a peaky upper midrange that is not easy to tame. I used lots of dynamic EQ and even the Soothe plugin to help control those brittle resonances.