Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cur An Long Ag Seol
Decided to give this one another go after realizing that it needed a lot more work than I put in to it the first time. This one has more aggressive Eq'ing, processing and much more automation.

.mp3    Cur An Long.mp3 --  (Download: 6.92 MB)

.mp3    Cur An Long Final.mp3 --  (Download: 6.92 MB)

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Overall sound is very smooth. And you have done a great job with that bass. I can clearly hear the bass fills, but it still sounds bassy.

Balance of instruments feels good, but
- for me that drum don't fit the overall sound. To me that was one of the most difficult things to solve in this mix. It could be also a problem of arrangement. I had problems to find a musical role for it.
- shaker mask quite strongly the acoustic guitar. Is it problem? I don't know.

I feel that overall sound is slightly low-mid-heavy. I use quite often a free and simple Elysia Niveau Filter plugin in master bus to solve that kind of problems (if mix is otherwise ok to me). For example -3db cut under 300 hz with that plugin could solve that issue quickly. Or not...
(22-05-2014, 08:16 AM)Olli H Wrote: Overall sound is very smooth. And you have done a great job with that bass. I can clearly hear the bass fills, but it still sounds bassy.

Balance of instruments feels good, but
- for me that drum don't fit the overall sound. To me that was one of the most difficult things to solve in this mix. It could be also a problem of arrangement. I had problems to find a musical role for it.
- shaker mask quite strongly the acoustic guitar. Is it problem? I don't know.

I feel that overall sound is slightly low-mid-heavy. I use quite often a free and simple Elysia Niveau Filter plugin in master bus to solve that kind of problems (if mix is otherwise ok to me). For example -3db cut under 300 hz with that plugin could solve that issue quickly. Or not...

Thanks Olli.
I agree about the lower mid issue. I'm going to work on that. The drum is typical for this genre I thought.
Here it is with some work taming the lower mids on a couple of the tracks and bringing down the levels a bit on the drum and bass.

.mp3    Cur An Long 2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.92 MB)

I've heard better mixes from you to be honest.
The bass is really lost,the shakers really loud.
You seem to have so much high end in the mix
to my ears and with so much verb it really has no clarity or definition.
Sorry mate.
I agree about the bass and shaker but I like the verb Big Grin
I brought the bass back up a bit in this version and shaker down.

.mp3    Cur An Long 3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.92 MB)

Really like way the fiddles in this mix build and fall with different ambience. When the first chorus came in it really felt big. I thought the vocal could be brought down a bit though.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
Mahatma Gandhi

I listened to all the versions here. Yes, your final version is definitely your best! And I like the 'verb, too! Tongue My only complaint about it is I feel the vocals are just a tad too loud, though in a purely acoustic Celtic song like this that's not a huge issue; you can get away with the vocals being out a lot further front and still get a good sound, which you did. I particularly love what you did with the brushes here; they pop out at you, in a good way, and help carry the rhythm of the song! Nice! Big Grin

Oh, almost forgot to ask: You got a really smooth sound out of the bass here, something that everyone who's doing this seems to be struggling with (myself included Blush); what did you do to it?
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(27-05-2014, 01:47 AM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: I listened to all the versions here. Yes, your final version is definitely your best! And I like the 'verb, too! Tongue My only complaint about it is I feel the vocals are just a tad too loud, though in a purely acoustic Celtic song like this that's not a huge issue; you can get away with the vocals being out a lot further front and still get a good sound, which you did. I particularly love what you did with the brushes here; they pop out at you, in a good way, and help carry the rhythm of the song! Nice! Big Grin

Oh, almost forgot to ask: You got a really smooth sound out of the bass here, something that everyone who's doing this seems to be struggling with (myself included Blush); what did you do to it?

Thanks. I emphasized the first track and did a 5 db narrow cut at 80Hz; a 5.5db cut at 260 Hz; a 3db boost at 700 Hz and a 2 db at 1.4 K with extremely heavy compression and a HP filter at 40HZ.