Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Minute Smile Mix by Kim Bogdanovic
Hello! This is my mix of 'One Minute Smile'

.mp3    Bogdanovic_One Minute Smile Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 4.95 MB)

Hi. I can only give a quick listen so take it with a gain of salt. Heck, take two grains.

It feels a but "midgrangy". I dunno. I think there might be too much going on in the guitars in the 300hz and and/or an octave above that and that's eating up real estate and the vocals might be eq'd to compensate. Guitars, even (especially) heavy guitars can be a bit smaller than you'd think to fit in the bass and vocals. If need be, you can automate some eq or whatever to have them big be when they are on their own but thin out when other elements come in. It's all orchestration.

The vocals are pretty sibilant in the 10k(12k?) range. Especially when the back ground vocals come in. Prolly just constructive interference. Still. it really jumps out at me.

I like the 'radio' sound idea of the vocals at the top ( i think the original mix does something similar) but the tone of it is a bit harsh and sets the table a certain way, if that makes sense. A darker tone to that vocal will help make the rest of the band feel bigger when they come in. It's a land of contrasts.

Wait. Is this 48k? It doesn't need to be 48k if the original files are 44.1. I'm wondering if that's what is tweaking me with the sibilance. Am I hearing aliasing? If so it's the first time so...congrats.

Stay in the original sample rate. If the original was 48k (like some of the Telefunken files since they cut to video) they mix in 48 but generally most files in the audio world are in the 44.1khz range so mix and bounce to 44.1.

It's not far off. I think it's trying a bit too hard. Which is natural for a track like this. It's easy to want to put the pedal to the metal and put the [redacted] to the wall and all that but this song needs a bit of dynamics and it's ok to be a bit more subtle and let the track build. If that makes sense

Ta.