Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signs - Produced + Mixed
Hi friends,
I put on the producer's and arranger's hats in addition to the mixing engineer's. Took about 2 weeks with it. The originally recorded and arranged version had a nice concept, but several things held back its full potential to be an awesome overall song with mass appeal IMO, such as:

-Some dissonant instrument notes and chord combos
-the guitar and bass playing needed tightening in spots
-the original arrangement had a few repetitive or unnecessarily long passages
-limited vocal harmonies
-limited dramatic changes

To create the flair I imagined, I:
-sliced up audio tracks to reposition them or adjust rhythms
-added some synth pads in the background during softer sparse sections
-used harmony plugins to give the chorus more sing-along power and larger impact
-Re-amped the guitars and bass using Amplitube5
-Resampled the kick/snare
-added various riser effects, pitch shift effects, dramatic track mutes, vocal throws, automated panning

My DAW is Reaper
Hope you enjoy my take! Feedback is appreciated.

.mp3    Zeno - Signs - Sistomatic mix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.21 MB)

Hello friend, I was remembering the things I did in this song. There were some problems to solve, I'll list them:
- I remember I did a lot of editing;
- Some tracks were "thin", so I used saturation to "fatten" them;
- I added some "layers" of synths;
- Reduced the excess mid-high in some tracks and in the mix;
- The chorus was one of the biggest problems, it needed more energy. (it was "buried"). I used some editing tricks and also added a tambourine.

Each producer has a different perception of mixing and mixing elements. I'll list some small details that I noticed in your mix based on my perception:
- The volume of the voice in the verse could be lower;
- The overall sound could have a little more mid-bass or saturation to bring more "body".
- I think I could explore more ambience (reverbs, delays) to fill some spaces. (remembering that saturation also adds harmonics that make elements gain more "space" in the mix);
- I liked the additional voices;
- And the chorus needs more energy/prominence (I had a lot of work with this: Guitars, equalization, volumes, additional tricks, etc).

These are small details. Other people also had different perceptions with my mixing. The original tracks have some difficulties. The question is how each person will deal with these difficulties.

Cheers!

(I'm using Google Translate. I'm sorry for any writing errors)
GEARS
  • Macosx Big Sur / i5-10600KF / 16gb Ram / Nvme 512gb (OS) + SSD 1tb + HDD 4gb
  • Logic Pro 10.7.4
  • Soundcraft 22 MTK / Roland Quad-Capture
  • M-audio BX8
  • Main Plugins: Arturia and Plugin Alliance