Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Place For Us (Jan's Mix)
Levelled to -18 LUFS (avg)

.mp3    Carlos Gonzales - A Place For Us (Jan\'s Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 4.33 MB)

Nice mix you've achieved here, well balanced. The only quibble I can hear is that the sound is somewhat muffled. You cuold try to get rid of some boxiness around the 300-400 Hz, and alsp clean the very low end by HP some tracks or the whole mix.
Good job nonetheless on this tough multitrack !
(16-05-2014, 01:44 PM)EKN Wrote: Nice mix you've achieved here, well balanced. The only quibble I can hear is that the sound is somewhat muffled. You cuold try to get rid of some boxiness around the 300-400 Hz, and alsp clean the very low end by HP some tracks or the whole mix.
Good job nonetheless on this tough multitrack !

Thanks for your reply. I know what you mean, still not too happy with my monitoring. I'll upload a version that I previously mastered with a slightly different eq. Less 225 Hz and HP at 30 Hz.
Wasn't shure if there's enough low end. Please let me know how this sounds at your monitors.
Grtz.

.mp3    1_Carlos Gonzales - A Place For Us (Jan\'s Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 4.35 MB)

Hi Jan,
I listen to both of your versions, switching from one to the other, and I can barely hear any difference, maybe just a tiny bit of high end freq added in the second, but not that much.
I can still hear that muddiness, but after listening with more attention, I think this may come mostly from the backing vocals, since I don't have the same feeling when they don't sing.
(16-05-2014, 09:57 PM)janvrij Wrote: I'll upload a version that I previously mastered with a slightly different eq. Less 225 Hz and HP at 30 Hz.

Yes, this is much better than the first version; nice, crisp sound. In fact, I think this is one of the best mixes of this song here. Smile

About the only complaint I have is the snare sounds a little muddy to me, but that doesn't surprise me; the overhead tracks add serious mud to the drums because of excessive low frequency content, something I missed myself on my first attempt at this one. Blush I found a highpass filter at 200 Hz applied to the OH track cleared that up quite nicely. Smile

Nice work, Jan! Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Thanks EKN and Pedaling Prince for your comments and compliments. The coming week I'll be quite busy but I will try to listen both versions in a few other places and check the versions you made. I've mixed it on Adam A7X with some roll-off on the bass speakers and JBL 4310 studiomonitors. I'm curious on which monitors you guys listened.

Grtz, Jan.
(18-05-2014, 08:10 AM)janvrij Wrote: I'm curious on which monitors you guys listened.

I actually don't have professional studio monitors; can't afford them. Fortunately, however, the speakers I'm using I've been using for over a decade so I'm pretty familiar with their sound and this environment. Smile They're Pioneer CS-539s if you're curious. Wink

Actually, I don't tend to judge mixes here by listening on the speakers; I tend to use my headphones because they're based on a pro set; the Koss Tony Bennett Edition headphones I use are based on the Koss PRODJ100s. They even have a mono/stereo switch so I can listen for mono compatibility if I want to, though I usually only use that function when mixing my own; I judge most people's mixes here in the stereo mode unless someone specifically asks me to listen to their mix in mono mode or I have reason to think there may be some benefit to listening in mono.

So that's what I listened to your mix on: my Koss Tony Bennetts. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Hi Jan,
I currently mix using 3 different systems :
- Prodipe Pro 8 studio monitors I've been using for 2+ years
- Altec Lansing 2.1 (2 satellites + 1 sub) multimedia speakers I've been using for like 20 years !
- Sony MDR-7506 closed-back monitor headphones
When listening to others' mixes, I mostly use the studio monitors, but when I spot a frequency-related issue, I generally switch between the different systems to double-check.
Funnily enough, I could mix a song entirely on my multimedia speakers although they are far from having a flat freq response. But I'm so much used to listening music on them that I think my brain compensates for its weaknesses Smile And that sub is unforgiving for any low-end issue.
Listening on the Prodipe's is much more comfortable, though.
really nice, clean, clear balanced mix.Big Grin

I think you could have been bolder with Whoa wo's in choruses....they sound great in interlude. There also seems to be HF sibilance/plosives happening on the opening vocal section.

Good work
Thanks HBGuitar for your compliments and comments.

With the comments in my mind of EKN and Pedaling Prince and after listening at some other places, I did another mix and changed the eq on some tracks and put a tape saturater on the masterbus. Hope you like.

Grtz, Jan.

.mp3    Carlos Gonzales - A Place For Us (Jan\'s Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 4.33 MB)