Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ain't No Tellin' - jtbStudio mix
I heard "I'm Coming Home" from the Alan Evans Trio in the MAY/2020 podcast, and it sounded like something I wanted to mix, but after downloading the files, I was horrified to see that it ran for over 26 minutes. Luckily, it's actually 3 songs (recorded at a live performance), and being a sucker for a funky organ solo, I chose to mix the last song, "Ain't No Tellin'".

While searching for the name of the song, I stumbled across this video. Not the same performance as the recording, unfortunately, but fun to watch :-)

Song sections:
  • 0:00    intro
  • 0:16    verse
  • 1:08    break
  • 1:27    organ solo
  • 3:53    guitar solo
  • 5:07    break
  • 5:17    outro
I had a lot of trouble managing the snare. It's quite loud in the overheads, and while I ended up replacing the snare track (using Trigger), it's relatively low in the mix, with most of the sound coming from the overheads. This made it more difficult to manage the snare volume, and I ended up having to automate the overheads volume a lot, and it was really difficult getting a consistent tone. If I did this song again, I might try side-chaining the snare track into the overheads, and ducking them on each snare hit, allowing me to have more Trigger'ed snare in the mix.

The bass was also tricky, with wonderfully funky lines, but constantly-shifting tone, and it was hard to get it to sit solidly in the mix, and translate to smaller speakers. There was  bit of a resonance at 120 Hz, which I fixed with some dynamic EQ, and I also tried to smooth out the tone by adding some at 1200 Hz, as well.

The rhythm guitar had some pretty ear-shredding peaks in the mids, so I tried to tame those with some fairly deep dynamic EQ cuts at 2.6 and 3.2 kHz.

The organ was even tougher when it came to controlling the tone, but I managed that using lots of automation, on the individual tracks, as well as the aggregate.

The organ solo was the piece de resistance, with lots of automation to try and bring it under control, as well as some fairly hefty dynamic EQ at 3.2 kHz to control the ear-piercing mids e.g. the long sustained notes towards the end of the solo. A lot of work, but worth it... :-)

.mp3    Ain\'t No Tellin\'.mp3 --  (Download: 14.38 MB)

Mixing and mastering at jtbStudio.com
My music at JazzTeddyBears.com