Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
{Mr. Feral} Forkupines - Semantics
Here's my attempt at mixing Semantics, tried some simple tricks to the song to see how well they'd sit with the mix attempting to give the song more energy to its sound. Hope it sounds good! Feedback is appreciated greatly Big Grin

.mp3    Semantics .mp3 --  (Download: 10.53 MB)

I like the filter effect at the intro. Though I don't like the reverb you've used it's a bit heavy for the style of music. I would shorten the length of the verb and dial the level back a bit.
Wow! I must say this one surprised me a bit! You did an awesome job cleaning up those muddy vocals, better than I did! Blush Aside from the reverb being a little heavy (I agree with sano) your vocals sound absolutely first rate, particularly impressive given what the tracks sounded like originally! Love it! Big Grin Actually, in many ways I prefer your mix to mine; you've got a nice thick bass tone going here without sacrificing high frequency definition; the overall tone is really cool!

I only have a few relatively minor quibbles.

First, after the lo-fi filter (that threw me for a sec; I thought there was something wrong with my headphones Tongue but it was really cool once I realized what was happening) when the guitars first come in they sound a bit "busy" to me. Did you add some kind of echo effect to them? If so, you might want to dial it back a notch; it's a little much. Overall tone of the guitars was excellent, though.

Second, the bass drum hit at 1:25 is a little bit strong; it feels disconnected and out of place. Maybe pull it back in level a few dB and/or dial back on the EQ around 80 Hz?

Third, the "how could you say" bridge that begins at 2:16 is way too loud. Dynamic range is your friend when creating emotional resonance; I think this would be a lot more effective emotionally if it was played quietly, maybe a good 6-10 dB down from where it is now (both the vocal and the guitar). Love that echo effect, though! Big Grin Same advice on the guitars that come in at 3:05; I think they'd be more effective if dialled back a few dB, like the one at 3:31; its level plays a lot better with the long term dynamics of the rest of the song.

Love the echo trail you added at the end, and the nice sharp, "How could you say?!" was just epic. Big Grin

Overall, excellent mix, and with a few tweaks, it could be even better! Cool
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Thank you so much for the critiques I'm glad you liked it!! Just the thing I needed to hear, I'm sorry it took me so long to respond but I'll try to touch up on the song in a little while and get it back to you, the one thing I was iffy about was surprsingly mostly what you pointed out, the loudness during the bridge area with the reverse echo vocals part, the reverb, and all that. Gahh, thank you so much!! Big Grin

*EDIT*
Alright, finally had some spare time to touch up on it, I lowered the sine frequencies in the bass drops to 55hz. felt they sounded too loud in the mix, lowered the areas that needed to be, can't remember the specific timings off the top of my head but take a listen and you'll know what I'm talking about. Though the only thing about them is I feel they may be a smidge too low and I was curious if I was the only one. Also yes, the guitar had a lot of echo so I took most of it out as well heh. Blush

Anyways hope you enjoy the new version now to work on some other songs Smile

.mp3    Semantics New.mp3 --  (Download: 10.53 MB)