Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May - Don't Let Go
maybe right, maybe wrong, but this is the song with slight changes to add more feeling to it:

- I think the mix lacked some kind of warmth so I added 1db to the 300 hz area.

- when James starts at 1.28 to get kind of melacholic (sorry if he didn't, but that's the message I got), I decided to add during this part a slight reverb to some of the instruments just like if they were blurred by melancholy.

- at the end of the song, I made his voice 1 db louder and added a tad of 3kz for some kind of energy in his words.

If you don't like those little changes, you can always turn to version one. Besides, poetry is not my best!! Big Grin

.mp3    James May - Don\'t Let Go V2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.45 MB)

mixing since April 2013
(11-05-2014, 06:11 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: Olli, you're killing me Big Grin

I got the same face when my wife asks me to guess what she has in mind and I have no idea Confused

I mix in mono all the time and only when I'm starting to add reverbs at the end is when I turn it to stereo. That's a good trick I learned in order to make your mixes clearer.

This is what I think of your suggestions:

- add 1 dB of tenderness to frequency balance: I think you're talking about the 200 hz area
- try to curve some space for lovin kindness: get some space for those flutes in the song?
- slightly more focus to thoughtfulnes: I give up! I have no idea!! I need more neurons in my brain!

Am I right?

Isn't it funny thing. I have a feeling that if a man asks woman to guess what he has in his mind, woman knows it always.

As I said, I didn't have any specific tricks in my mind. I think you should begin to listen more what your spine tells you. During the mixing process, when you have enough of technical skill, you must stop thinking technically.

Although I didn't try to make any riddles, Voelund got it right, you got it all wrong. Smile Your tried to find technical solution, Voelund listens what moves him in the music.

So try to find what feels good to you in music, and try to make it feel even better in you mix. More you listen your feelings, more they will guide you.

Check this product video on the bottom of this page
http://www.thehouseofkush.com/#!the-ubk-1/cs0s

Listen how the inventor of that plugin says "that's lovely" when he adds compression or saturation. He is emotionally connected to the groove. (And I didn't mean that you should buy that plugin, although it's on my wish list.)

I think that I brought up this topic by accident because I'm currently working on it very hard. Intellectual solutions to problems happen too easily for me.

I didn't listen yet your new version, but I will do it.

Nice mix, nice balance and the vox sound great.
Could be a bit wider but that's not the end of the world
and I like the fact that you are not going silly with reverb.
The flute is a bit loud as is in my mix and most mixes I've heard.
Keep up the good work.

Reverb is just math,pre delay etc more than anything.
Sounds lovely Big Grin !
Great job !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

thank you, guys!!!
mixing since April 2013