Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Ride - Hammer Down
Hi!

Yeah last mix is really good for me. I think you could probably blend in the BV's even more if you wanted to. You kind of don't exactly have to be able to hear everything in a mix, but you should maybe notice it's not there if you hit the mute button.

Not sure if it was because of the low end, but the previous mix sounded perhaps a touch bright in the 2-4k region I think.

Getting into the real weeds now - I picked up that there is a small resonance around 3.5k in the V4 mix. For me the mix sounds really good if you duck this out with a small notch. (I suspect it might actually be in the overheads track perhaps).

This track really doesn't need any sample replacement in my opinion. A couple of tips that might help though. I've certainly done mixes where I have traded ghost notes for snare tone with samples. You might be able to get away with it to some extent though if you blend in the sample rather than replace. Another tip is to make sure you randomise the velocity of each snare sample hit a bit. This will also get rid of the machine-gun snare effect on fills too.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!