Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blood to bone - voelund
Had a go at especially the kick again. Added a sample and boosted a tiny bit OH around 100, also made the snare better and a little overdrive bus helped the kick. Automated some guitardelays that were cluttering and made compression little less on bass, more volume automation and guitar bus had to be raised 0.3 dB too. Im pretty happy with this and its time to move on to other song. Thanks for the help and listen !

.mp3    Blood to bone 08 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 9.25 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Yes that's loads better that's what that kick needed,is there a bit too much 100ish in there now ?
Great mix.
Hi Voelund!

Nice job here on your mix, it plays well.

I think with a little more attention to the basic levels of the guitars and their relationship to the bass gtr, vocal and drums you's have a really finished sounding and well balanced mix.

My impression when listening is that everything sounds good, just needs some fine tuning in the levels.

Nice Job
Thank you. Im not sure what you mean, are bas too low guitars too loud or ?
It plays like I hear it in my head on my system. I noticed your vocal lvl were way higher than mine and the guitars get a little help in solo parts in my mix too, as theres no vox and I miss the volume.
Maybe thats what you mean, did I overdo it ?
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Hi Voelund,

Really nice job on the mix!

After listening several times I tried to make a list of basic things that I hear that may help.

So, I would say that Guitar 1 and Guitar 2's relationship in the chorus could use some balancing.

- Guitar 2 being a bit too loud in the mix in general. I say that because upon very low listening levels it becomes apparent that Gtr 2 is dominant over the mix in general.
- The kick drum in the intro and throughout Verse 1 seems too loud for the vocal and could benefit from automation, as supplied I feel the track needed automation here. Just to smooth out the performance a bit.
- The snare drum seems closer to me than the lead vocal, as I was behind the drums and he was out front of me. (maybe a touch of reverb would push it back and sit in the mix a bit more)

Never the less, this mix sounds really good and you should be pretty happy with it!
Good work
(12-05-2014, 07:26 AM)Voelund Wrote: Readin your suggestion a pensado tip came to mind. This kick could benefit from a cut close to the fundamental as wilde resonances are all over the 90- 120 area. I thought i made it work but more surgery may be the trick. Or simply volume.

Nice balance, albeit dark and cloudy. I think how mixes are monitored are the resulting outcome. Knowing you mixing environment takes the guess work out of it and also the strenuous trial and error as well.

Mixing with headphones is a no no, because it doesn't give you a true stereo field and unfortunately with this song being able to identify the stereo field is paramount in the advent towards success.

Im sure you have but try burning the WAV mix print and auditioning it on various mediums such as your car or home stereo.

Lastly, the only thing that matters is your opinion, unless its a client then, well your sh#t out of luck and jolly well fu$ked.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(12-05-2014, 02:16 PM)Voelund Wrote: Had a go at especially the kick again. Added a sample and boosted a tiny bit OH around 100, also made the snare better and a little overdrive bus helped the kick. Automated some guitardelays that were cluttering and made compression little less on bass, more volume automation and guitar bus had to be raised 0.3 dB too. Im pretty happy with this and its time to move on to other song. Thanks for the help and listen !

GTRS almost disappear in mono after the first verse, the bass is super prominent when this happens because the bass is center in the mix.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1