Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blood to bone - voelund
Need some help on this - uploaded the 2 bus

Are the drums too loud ? are the guitars too bright ?
vocal lvl ?
Im really confused and will let it rest some days, probably monday I´ll be back.
Great song and fun to mix.

.mp3    Blood to bone 06.mp3 --  (Download: 9.28 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I have a good feeling about this !
Sometimes mixin when you are really tired can open your mind to approaches you wouldnt have thought of normally and addin strange things and makin lvl choices unusual to you.

I have yet to hear this in the morning but right now, after workin on it a couple more hours on and off (family visited earlier, pleasant surprise and wonderful to play with my grandchild !)it sounds like i heard it in my head.

What do you think ?

.mp3    Blood to bone 07 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 9.17 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I think the second version is better. The only thing (I'm starting to think about feelings now) is that maybe the guitars should give a little bit of more warmth to the song. Not much though because I think they're ok already.

And a technical thing -very easy to fix- is the last sentence in the song at 3:53. It's too low and it should be a little bit louder.
mixing since April 2013
Thank you for your ideas !
I deliberately made that last sentence very low, so one has to hear it again to see if it was there or not :-)
You may be right about the guitars ! I will experiment with some bus eq - thank you for the fast response.
Im not overly happy with the snare, but thats what I could do with the track, maybe I could add a sample ...
Added a touch warmth to guitar bus and coloured and compressed the last vocal phrase a bit.

.mp3    Blood to bone 07a lim.mp3 --  (Download: 9 MB)

now the guitars sound perfect!!!

Lately I've been learning about reverbs and distance but since it's something new to me in terms of paying attention to, I am no good at it yet. But... that last phrase made me imagine right away the voice coming from a distant place just like a desperation shout from the singer. So that's great!!! Smile
mixing since April 2013
To get technical ( which can be a great tool for creating emotions ) the tool I used on that last phrase is here and its free
http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/LMC-1/
Sometimes that hard compression and cut of lo and hi are just what it takes.
Also I think it has some verb (only used for that in this song) with a 200ms predelay and a bad verb algorithm, and heavy lo and hicut
this plug-in seems to be VERY interesting!! thank you!!!

By the way, I don't know if you like the show or not, but yesterday I was thinking about you while watching the Eurovision Song Contest there in Denmark. Great show Smile
mixing since April 2013
Nice sounding mix,yes the guitars are better,bit more kick would be nice
Readin your suggestion a pensado tip came to mind. This kick could benefit from a cut close to the fundamental as wilde resonances are all over the 90- 120 area. I thought i made it work but more surgery may be the trick. Or simply volume.