Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SpedeMix A Place For Us
Hi! I did a mix out of this yesterday. This was pretty hard to pull off: the weird bass arrangement (slapping on the fuller parts) and the drum tracks which were essentially ruined by the shoddy editing certainly didn't help.

Some of the backing vocals were artificially double-tracked (using some ADT software). Once you get rid of those (and the flanging effect they caused with the tracks they were created from) the bg voxes started to sound much more bigger.

The drums in this song were a huge issue and I had to do a lot of weird juggling to get them work. Since you couldn't create the drum strength the traditional way (you know, so that the all the mics support each other) I had to do lots of the opposite: To make sure any of the channels didn't step onto each other's toes and destroy the low punch (or what left of it anyway). That included deleting half of the close mics (kick outs and snare bottoms and such) The sample snare track provided saved my butt here.

But the song is great and that's all that matters in the end Smile

.m4a    A_Place_For_Us_SpedeMix.m4a --  (Download: 3.58 MB)

Great sounding mix this, big open sound with some nice solid bottom.
Very good work as this track is very hard to get sounding how we would like it
in our heads. I know its not going to happen for me anyway.
Sounds great, Spede!
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Maybe a bit too much room but man, what a huge sound, especially the drums. I think if you dialed back the reverb this mix would easily sell records. Maybe a bit of bass/sub could come out of the sides channel? Possibly a good bit of compression could be dialed out, but that might be how you got the huge sound.... no complaints, there. Fantastic work, dude. About knocked me out of my desk chair. Big Grin
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Sounds great enjoyed listening Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

sounds fantastic!!!
mixing since April 2013
Very impressive work Spede, great space and punchy low end.
I particularly like what you did with the backing vocals, they sound smooth like velvet and you gave them a nice depth. What kind of fairy dust did you apply to those tracks ? Smile
(08-05-2014, 11:01 AM)Spede Wrote: The drums in this song were a huge issue and I had to do a lot of weird juggling to get them work. Since you couldn't create the drum strength the traditional way (you know, so that the all the mics support each other) I had to do lots of the opposite: To make sure any of the channels didn't step onto each other's toes and destroy the low punch (or what left of it anyway). That included deleting half of the close mics (kick outs and snare bottoms and such) The sample snare track provided saved my butt here.

Well you must've done something right because you're the first person whose mix didn't have that muddiness problem with the snare on the first attempt, including my own. Blush

Actually, aside from the stereo image being a little narrow for my taste (I get this odd feeling like too much stuff is squashed to the center during the bigger parts of this) and the master compression maybe being a touch aggressive I really like this!

One thing. I love the definition you got out of the piano here! Big Grin What did you do to it?
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Huge sounding mix. The low end sound powerful, though seems to be pushed quite far, certainly far more than any other mix posted so far. It all works together nicely though. Great work !
really nice sounding mix...drum and bass sound great. Ld Vocals in both choruses occasionally get a bit low..detracting a bit from anthemic whoa wo's.