Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New skin - voelund
07-05-2014, 02:25 PM
New skin - voelund
There were 2 directions to go, to clean things up and choose 1 vocal and make it clear and in your face, or make a soup of all those lovely ingredients and the atmosphere and mood comes free with that.

Not hard to tell which i choose.

I have not listened to other mixes a while as this has taken some time choosin lvls, eq and verb, I have some time now and will take a listen to whats up around here.

.mp3   New skin 02 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 12.78 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2014, 05:21 PM
RE: New skin - voelund
ouffff!!! I like those vocal reverbs a lot and I'm 100% sure that if I had gone for a similar sound, I wouldn't have made them sound as good as this in my life!!

As you told me when I posted this song, it's amazing how different a song can turn out to be according to the person mixing. Smile

mixing since April 2013
Visit this user's website
01-08-2014, 02:36 PM
- Over all a bit rattly top end. Cymbals sound brittle and not as warm as one would like this track to be.
- Vocals are a bit unintelligible. But, I know that it's what you were going for.
- The wetness of mix adds to a certain ear fatigue after a couple of minutes. It becomes bland after a while.
+ However, this is a great mix and fits the song perfectly.
+ Great glue and vibe.
+ Great reverb!!! Is that a plate of some sort? Name/brand?

Of course these are my humble opinion. Take what ever you like with you, throw away the rest. Feel free to comment on my mixes too. Cheers! Smile
01-08-2014, 03:03 PM
Last thing first, as youve asked before about verb.
My go to setup are 2 hardware verbs, Lexicon LXP 1, either with a shortish hall or one o the plates, thats for audible verb, the other which are added a bit to all instruments are a really old Digitech thing called dsp 128 where I use a 0.8 - 1.5 hall, set it to what I like most.
Due to the nature of DAWS they have a severe predelay, and thats maybe what really makes it sound good. Also I roll of a lot o topend and sometimes tune returns in mid, boost broad 500 for strings for one.

I am not necessarily after a crystal clear vocal, I love listen to classical music where often in concert you actually have to do one thing not many people are used to: Listen ! If you focus on the vocal evry word is audible, but its not above the music. As i dont make money out of this I can do so enjoying what aesthetic pleasure that gives me and also it gives me the ability to discus the importance or non importance of crystal clear anything. Blend is a wonderfu word, also in music.

Thx for commentin, cool system you have invented, the + and - thing. I may borrow that Big Grin

Olli suggested my discomfort zone are uner 100 and above 10k, he may be right, I love mids and dont have a decent room for judging much below 100. Im better than I used to be though, not that it means a lot :-)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order

Support my video work!
Advertisement: