Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Place For Us
Here it is with a bit of more high peak reduction on the lead vocal using an 1126 emulation at 20:1 and also a bit of reduction of upper mids. I also attempted to get more punch from the Taiko drum.

.mp3    A Place For Us 2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.76 MB)

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Nice one,its one of those songs that you could go round in circles with.
Mr Bob...i'm struggling with the sibilance off the vocal, sorry. it gets really bad for me when the BV's come in. shame it's spoiling your good work on the vocals generally 'cos i liked what you were aiming at here. i also suspect you have some conflict down in the low end here with the drum and bass, perhaps this is causing the extra work in the HMF's to address the tonal balance? WDYT?
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Very good work, Bob. I love the huge drums and the separation of instruments in general is really impressive. I think the lead vocal is too loud, but I think if you carved some of the low mids out the current level would be pretty good. It feels like there's a bit too much compression on the vocal, too, but it may be that the compressor is over-reacting to the excess (in my opinion) low mids.

Great, huge sound, man. How the heck did you get the guitars jiving so well?
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(09-05-2014, 03:04 AM)pauli Wrote: Very good work, Bob. I love the huge drums and the separation of instruments in general is really impressive. I think the lead vocal is too loud, but I think if you carved some of the low mids out the current level would be pretty good. It feels like there's a bit too much compression on the vocal, too, but it may be that the compressor is over-reacting to the excess (in my opinion) low mids.

Great, huge sound, man. How the heck did you get the guitars jiving so well?
Thanks for the suggestions, Pauli. I'm posting my attempts at implementing them below. I didn't do anything special with the guitars. They are just panned hard left and right.
My attempt at implementing Pauli's suggestions and also putting a little more work into the mastering.

.mp3    A Place For Us 3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.76 MB)

Very nice work. You did a great job with the drums (which were the most difficult part for me with the backing vocals), the lead vocal and the overall balance. In your last version though I can still hear a kind of resonance in the low end which I suspect may come from the overheads track. I had to HP that track quite generously Smile
OK. Listening to the first version of your mix, I had some quibbles. Then I read the postings and your subsequent mixes, and everything I was going to say ended up getting addressed.

So I got nothin'. This is just awesome the way it is. Big Grin

Love that nice echo/reverb you used on the snare, BTW! How'd you do that?
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(18-05-2014, 01:29 AM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: OK. Listening to the first version of your mix, I had some quibbles. Then I read the postings and your subsequent mixes, and everything I was going to say ended up getting addressed.

So I got nothin'. This is just awesome the way it is. Big Grin

Love that nice echo/reverb you used on the snare, BTW! How'd you do that?

I just primarily used the sample. BTW - thanks Smile
Great work on this you've achieved a punchy and powerful mix ! Great job !