Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Place For Us
Decided to repost this with more emphasis on the percussion and synth tracks along with a bit more automation.

.mp3    A Place For Us.mp3 --  (Download: 8.76 MB)

.mp3    A Place For Us Final.mp3 --  (Download: 8.76 MB)

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
I like this mix Bob, a question.
As you have done to have such a presence in his voice??
It's the only thing I'm missing to complete my mix.
and I'm starting to hate this track. lol

Sergio
Nice mix good work mate.
Thanks, guys.

Sergio, for the Lead Vocal I have a high pass filter at 250 hZ, -3db at 510Hz, almost 5 db boost at 5000K and a 4 db high shelf starting at 10,000K. I did a lot of level automation along with a fair amount of compression with a LA2A emulation. For reverb a 1.5s room with a 1/32d pre delay and a bit of 175ms slap.
The overall tonality in this mix is very good, apart from the slight muddiness in the kick drum (extremely hard to deal with here) and the slight brightness with the lead vocal.

You could try to put a brickwall limiter (like L1) into the vocal before LA2A emu and catch some of the loudest peaks before LA2A sees them. This way the LA2A will have to do less work with the loud peaks and probably in the end you could apply more overall compression which would level out the vocal even further. Compressing lead vocal is an art where you want to make sure all the quiet nuances will be audible but it'll never jump out and detach from the mix. Oh and it needs to sound good too Big Grin

Yes use 2 comps doing a little work each or use l1 like spede said.
Makes automation so easy too.
(08-05-2014, 11:14 AM)Spede Wrote: The overall tonality in this mix is very good, apart from the slight muddiness in the kick drum (extremely hard to deal with here) and the slight brightness with the lead vocal.

You could try to put a brickwall limiter (like L1) into the vocal before LA2A emu and catch some of the loudest peaks before LA2A sees them. This way the LA2A will have to do less work with the loud peaks and probably in the end you could apply more overall compression which would level out the vocal even further. Compressing lead vocal is an art where you want to make sure all the quiet nuances will be audible but it'll never jump out and detach from the mix. Oh and it needs to sound good too Big Grin

Thanks for the tip. Regarding the kick, I was actually wanting a large boomy sound. I guess I might have went overboard with the boomy part.
(08-05-2014, 07:57 AM)bmullen Wrote: Thanks, guys.

Sergio, for the Lead Vocal I have a high pass filter at 250 hZ, -3db at 510Hz, almost 5 db boost at 5000K and a 4 db high shelf starting at 10,000K. I did a lot of level automation along with a fair amount of compression with a LA2A emulation. For reverb a 1.5s room with a 1/32d pre delay and a bit of 175ms slap.

Thanks Bob !!!! the same 4 the BG??

Sergio

(08-05-2014, 04:38 PM)flyrecords Wrote:
(08-05-2014, 07:57 AM)bmullen Wrote: Thanks, guys.

Thanks Bob !!!! the same 4 the BG??

Sergio
With the back ups I just made various low mid-range cuts on almost every one to remove some boxiness.

We can also get over obsessed with mud,if its mud at all.
I was listening to a chart hit mix by a well known mixer the other
day and for who he is I thought the mix was pretty standard and pretty
muddy sounding but it was just the sound of the mix.