Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Don't Let Go
oooh yeah...

especially that very subtle tweak on the vocal....wicked!
continual improvement? i'd have liked more clues about the ambiance. on headphones there's a little too much separation on the sides for my taste, like the intro where the acoustic is nearly hard left and the shaker nearly hard right which by implication makes them almost on my shoulders? that's close...kinda unnatural. but it's a nice clean mix...enjoyable listening, thanks!
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Here's another version of this one implementing some of your suggestions. I brought the vocal down a couple of db and narrowed the spread between the shaker and cymbal.

.mp3    Don\'t Let Go 2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.08 MB)

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
I like this version even more. It has slightly smoother overall feeling which suits this song.

This version still has little the problem that The_Metallurgist brought up about panning. When the instrumentation is so sparse it feels little odd in headphones when shaker and guitar are so far apart each other. The role of shaker gets too strong in headphones. Should one care about it? I frankly don't know.

Similar problem with headphone listening is in this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joXHmEOGy38
Guitar alone in right ear sounds odd. The problem is solved at 0:50 when piano comes to left ear. The relaxed listening experience starts for me at that point. And that record has recently won a Grammy, and that records is one of my top favorite CDs. Sometimes it's difficult to know what to think.
(07-05-2014, 02:48 PM)Voelund Wrote:
(05-05-2014, 06:05 PM)takka360 Wrote: credit where credit is due its a bit of a shame that someone else around here cant be bothered if you
know what I mean and its not good and to be honest im thinking about chucking it all in on here.

It may be my english abilities, but i dont understand what you mean by that.
If my instinct are correct and you are referring to me, then you should know that I only agreed to talk decent when signin up for this forum. If time allows I like to listen to mixes and comment, but as the day only has 24 hours that isnt always the case.

No no nothing to do with you mate whatsoever.

(12-05-2014, 06:04 AM)bmullen Wrote: Here's my final version of this one implementing some of your suggestions. I brought the vocal down a couple of db and narrowed the spread between the shaker and cymbal.

In my opinion, the only thing this needs is to open up the reverbs. Otherwise, first rate work. And, personally, I like the way the stereo panning is now; the example Olli gave is quite a bit more extreme than your mix here. I understand what he's saying but as far as my taste goes this works perfectly for me. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Thanks for the input guys ... giving me a lot to think about. I find it interesting how in this song with such few instruments a 45% pan stands out so much.
(12-05-2014, 09:49 PM)Olli H Wrote: I like this version even more. It has slightly smoother overall feeling which suits this song.

This version still has little the problem that The_Metallurgist brought up about panning. When the instrumentation is so sparse it feels little odd in headphones when shaker and guitar are so far apart each other. The role of shaker gets too strong in headphones. Should one care about it? I frankly don't know.

Similar problem with headphone listening is in this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joXHmEOGy38
Guitar alone in right ear sounds odd. The problem is solved at 0:50 when piano comes to left ear. The relaxed listening experience starts for me at that point. And that record has recently won a Grammy, and that records is one of my top favorite CDs. Sometimes it's difficult to know what to think.

That's a great example of how it can work, Olli. Later on in the song the piano and guitar sound really good to me together with that panning. That's kind of the idea I had with the two guitar parts. I think I might need to reduce the level of the shaker some with my current panning.
The question about headphone-listening is quite interesting and important. I haven't seen any statistics of people's listening habbits, but I'm quite sure nowadays music is much more consumed through headphones.

Personally I listen quite much with headphones, but I prefer to mix with speakers if it it's possible. But panning decisions are totally different for me in those two listening modes. Maybe for the same reason I have never dared to use real LCR-mixing decisions. But many top mixers use it, and they certainly know much more than a sunday driver like me. But on the other hand, there's also many top mixers that don't use it.

Some 30 years ago I remember there were some headphone amplifiers where one can control how much the channels blend to each other. The reason was to make listening experience more similar to the normal listening situation.
There is software you can get like Redline monitor that you can use.
I have it and its pretty good for headphone mixing into the wee hours.
Interesting. It must be this one:
http://www.112db.com/redline/monitor/

Here's a quote from their site about the difference of headphones and spekers:

"Listening to music on headphones is essentially different than listening to speakers. When you listen to speakers, both ears receive the output of both speakers but in different proportions. Your right ear will hear more of the right speaker, and the left ear more of the left. And because the left ear is slightly farther away from the right speaker, it hears the right signal a fraction of a second later than the right ear. This time difference between the ears is one of the main cues that your brain uses to figure out the left-to-right position of sounds.

When you listen to headphones each ear will only receive one channel. The sound isn't mixed, and there are no time differences. In short: the listening experience lacks any similarity to natural hearing. Any regular headphones user will be familiar with the problems this causes: the stereo image is lost due to extreme separation of the left and right channels and has no discernible phantom center (the non-existent 'center speaker' that vocals often appear to come from when listening to speakers). Sound sources are impossible to locate and, because of the unnatural stereo image, ear fatigue sets in even after short listening sessions."