Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carlos González - A Place For Us
Hi, John! I'm glad you liked the mix.

I couldn't remember how I did that, but just checked out the project again because what I do all the time is only compression and EQ on my drums. But another thing that I always do on my drums bus (that is what brought up the rumble) is adding a little bit of saturation -in this case it was tape saturation- and also, added some more compression with a native plugin I have on my DAW, Presonus Studio One, called tricomp. This plugin is awesome and just by tweaking a single knob, you get a great sound.

mixing since April 2013
Great vocal and a great job of creating clarity between the instruments, with all that is going on in the mix.

I feel the vocal could use a extra lift during the chorus, it feels like it doesn't quite follow the instrument lift when they kick in and remains the same level. Not particularly volume wise but more energy wise. Maybe an automated eq to add more high end or even a different reverb to help contrast it against the verse vocal.
Nice job with this complicated mix.....a well balanced sonic landscape.Big Grin

The only thing that really jumped out at me was BGV1 and EGTR1 combo at 0.40 maybe a little over done...I like what you are trying to do..create that tension...but it sounds slightly dislocated from the mix...for the same effect, the levels at 1.18 sit better in the mix