Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Street Noise-Revelations
THANKS Voelund!

That "authentic '70s sound" might be in part due to my using the Waves Eddie Kramer Tape, Tubes & Transistors (Helios, PYE, and Ampex emulations) plug-ins. Of course, I could just as easily have used the ingenious Studio One plug-ins and all would have probably been fine.

I did try raising the bass .5 dB as you suggested, but it appeared to interfere with things a bit, but that could just be my respective environment.

You guessed right about the ending: I wanted to come to a sudden halt! Your analogy of someone cutting the power is perfect!

Cool

(07-05-2014, 04:16 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: Hi Stu...

welcome!

can i ask that you encode to 320kbps for the sake of quality....it makes for better listening. well done on the mix...good start. just something for you to think about meanwhile: the guitar on the RHS is causing me fatigue because of the way you've EQ'd it? take a look and see what can be done to address the problem. if you do any boosts, i recommend you keep the Q value small..say 1.4 is an octave, anything narrower than this will have issues if you aren't careful. infact, if you can, i recommend avoiding boosting....try and cut instead. so, if an instrument isn't clear, try and cut material from the masking instruments? boosts often sound unnatural and it's easy to mess up....where as cuts are less intrusive on our ears and can be made quite aggressively without such consequences.

liked the way you got the organ out e.g. 2:20 onwards.

an early tip on reverbs....if you can hear them, you've dialed in too much. so, tweak until you begin to hear it, then back it off a fraction and that will probably do the job. of course, if you wanna be daft like me and make an instrument out of it instead, forget the tip and crank the dial hard! Smile

keep up the good work Wink
Dave

OK Dave:

Thanks for the 320 tip. Let me know how it sounds. Angel

I tried making a few eq adjustments so that the RHS guitar would not be as fatiguing to you, but it wasn't working. I at times have a tendency to find electric guitars fatiguing too. Probably because I used to listened to music at very high volumes, through low quality speakers in my youth; being a guitarist for most of my life doesn't help either. I also tend to find Baroque recordings quite fatiguing. I'd like to know if anyone else here feels the RHS guitar is fatiguing too.

I checked the bus eq, and I only made two cuts and one very slight boost. If you want to know specifically what I did, let me know.

THANK YOU!
Smile

.mp3    Street Noise-Revelations Mixdown 8 320.mp3 --  (Download: 10.43 MB)

Honestly, I feel this version and your previous one are pretty much an even match. Since Metallurgist is the one who had the issue I'll defer to him here if you want to try to improve it further but, for my money, you're already doing just fine. Smile Although I did find the guitar on the right a wee bit sharp a little after 3:00 here. Not a big deal, just a brief distraction... Smile

Oh BTW regarding that abrupt ending. If that's the effect you were going for that's fine but I'm afraid I have to agree with Voelund on that; it's a little distracting, like taking a nice cruise on an open highway and suddenly slamming into a brick wall... Tongue
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince