Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You are the one - Voelund
First attempt, it isnt mastered, just the raw 2 bus.
Lot of noise as i dont have a decent denoiser - turn it up Big Grin

.mp3    You are the one 03.mp3 --  (Download: 15.92 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Enjoying listening !
I don't mind the noise ,actually it brings back memories of listening to my favourite cassettes which I miss Sad !
All sounds great especially the bass guitar , panned accoustic organ ,bongo's and the electric guitar ,the solo guitar level sounds great which is one thing i have to fix in my mix . the electric guitar could be a couple of decibels softer around 1 to 3 k but thats only what im hearing on my systemBig Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(01-05-2014, 06:20 PM)Voelund Wrote: First attempt, it isnt mastered, just the raw 2 bus.

As it should be! "Mastering" only spoils the balance IMHO. Wink

When I saw you did a mix of this I jumped at the chance to listen to it; I knew I'd enjoy it as I really enjoy your work! Big Grin I agree with The Don; the extra noise is not obtrusive in any way, and it's even a bit nostalgic. Cool

This was a really nice mix, I must say! I only have two quibbles:

1. The acoustic guitar is really dull sounding. The original track was in abysmal condition, I know, but believe it or not it's possible to get some life out of it. Try these EQ settings: -24 dB cut at 260 Hz, 3.5 dB boost at 3100 Hz and 16 dB boost at 4800 Hz. Also, you might want to apply a hipass filter at 200 Hz.
2. Hammond. I think it needs to come up a dB or two, and it's panned a little too hard to the right; I'd bring it a bit more to the center.

Otherwise, loved it! Smile

(01-05-2014, 06:20 PM)Voelund Wrote: Lot of noise as i dont have a decent denoiser

Try this:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It's free and amazingly powerful. It's what I used to scrub out the noise in the tracks on my mix. Smile The secret to good noise scrubbing results is to scrub the individual mulitracks before mixing; scrubbing out the noise after the mix is done tends to create uneven results. The results are uneven on the individual tracks, too, but all those uneven points tend to hide each other when playing together. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Thx for the replies and suggestions.
Fort the guitars I kinda like them bright, and with Johns suggestion on the acoustic it doesnt stick out as much, also I brightened the organ a bit and gave the lead vocal a little more volume.
Automated a couple of snare hits to drive the song forward and muted piano and acoustic first part of solo to make the very long solo have a little buildup.
I didnt do exactly the eq treatment John suggested but used it as insiration for a tweak to the eq i allready did. Also gave one acoustic a little chorus.

So you used audacity for cleaning up the tracks, i have that, I will have a look at the possibilitys and maybe do a denoised version. Thank you for the inspiration !

.mp3    You are the one 04 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 15.77 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Ah, now that's the stuff! Big Grin I still have a couple of minor tweak suggestions:

1. Echo effect on the acoustic guitar at the beginning is a little heavy handed for my taste; might want to dial that back a bit.
2. The Hammond balance is a little off; it's a bit too loud during the opening and not loud enough when it kicks in hard at 3:43.

Other than that, though, absolutely first rate stuff! Cool

(05-05-2014, 08:10 PM)Voelund Wrote: I didnt do exactly the eq treatment John suggested but used it as insiration for a tweak to the eq i allready did.

That's what I always hope people will do; that's why I don't usually give such specific technical advice. I'm glad it helped you come up with a uniquely "Voelund" solution. Wink

(05-05-2014, 08:10 PM)Voelund Wrote: So you used audacity for cleaning up the tracks, i have that, I will have a look at the possibilitys and maybe do a denoised version. Thank you for the inspiration !

No problem. That's what we're all here for, isn't it? To inspire each other and help each other improve our craft. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince